AverageJoe

Wyoming Antelope Application Process

Were are trying to get a group together, my brother in law and I ( Average Joe) for next years hunt. Think we are going to a Platt River Fishing trip on top of the goat hunt. If anyone is interested PM one of us.

Dont mean to bump up a old topic, but came across it yesterday. A few friends and myself decided we want to go bag a few antelope up in wyoming, mainly for the meat. Not looking for trophy bucks, but at least a small buck and a couple doe each would be our goal. That being said, i realize it is way too late to buy bonus points for 2013. I think i am starting to understand the process, but could use some guidance. Without bonus points are there any units with high enough draw odds, that have enough public land, or the free hunter management land that would even be worth putting in for? Ive scoured the list with the odds, and googled units that have a large amount of public land, and seems most of the common ones require a few points to get drawn. So i turn to you guys, what are some other units worth putting in for that wont require high $ rancher or guide fees?

As I was reading this again yesterday a good friend and fellow rally driver of mine from WY texted me with an inviotation for speed goat hunting.

Here is how the conversation went;

AJ: We've got more antelope than people! I'll keep you posted.

Me: Kiitos (THX in Finnish)

AJ: Iloni :) (YW in Finnish)

AJ: I got access to WY area **, which has amazing speed goats and elk

Me: Let me know when and how much. I'm game for both, freezer is empty and all I got is stink pig and turkey tags this season.

AJ: Our turkey limit here is like 6 hahaha. Those bastards are big too.

Me: I hate you !

If everything works out with minimal involvement from dear old Mr. Murphy, I may be able to replenish the freezer.

ffm71, first, welcome to ya.

I'm not a WY antelope expert, as i waited to get 4 BP before drawing my first hunt a few years ago. I guess driving past all those antelope in southwest Wy on the way to Yellowstone got to me. If you are looking for "sooner", you may wish to try the preference route if the extra $ is no issue. Some can't see over $500 for a NR antelope tag though. I have 2 PP again and am hoping to go back to WY.

You might search other forums for info, as they may have more WY info.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/forumdisplay.php?f=432

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7004382/Searchpage/7/Main/496946/Words/wyoming%2Bantelope/Search/true/Re_Wyoming_Antelope#Post7004382

i've been 3 times and taken nice goats each time, i put in the draw each year and i do NOT pay the extra money, but i am only drawing about every 4th or 5th year becasue of that... so in about 15 years of apllying i have drawn 3 times, including last year. it is not a question of if you will get a goat. you WILL get one. we see several THOUSAND goats each day, on the place we hunt, lt is just a great time to take a couple friends and make a neat several day hunt of it.

It will be interesting to see what changes WY has in their draw, pretty good chance the regular price antelope will cost the NR about 370 for tag plus app fee going up

Has anyone noticed that Wyoming Antelope are LESS tasty than what we have in Arizona? I was told they are a lot gamier in WY versus AZ because of the sage in their diet. Tired of waiting on drawing here, would like to finally get one!

I am not going to have any vacation time for this trip in 2013. If anyone is interested in 2014 I will have 2 points for that draw and would be looking for a 100% draw unit with the option of picking up extra doe tags. Probably looking at something in the SW corner of WY.

Flatlander, I would be very interested in putting a trip for 2014. Give me a call and we can talk about it. I might go this year, but I really don't think I will have the time or money.

Adam

928-595-1554

Just put in for 2013. First time putting in for WY Antelope. Can't wait to find out! Good luck to everyone else putting in!

Has anyone noticed that Wyoming Antelope are LESS tasty than what we have in Arizona? I was told they are a lot gamier in WY versus AZ because of the sage in their diet. Tired of waiting on drawing here, would like to finally get one!

My WY antelope tasted great/clean (as good as my AZ antelope), but one that I had from west Texas near Valentine and one from Unit 52 NM tasted bad. These are samples of one though. The area I hunted in WY did not have a lot of sage; it had some, but not a lot.

I am going this year and my bro in law this year. Anyone who goes this year maybe we could all meet up for dinner one night. We will be there second week of october most likely.

• Like 1

bonecollector, you can buy a bonus point in after the draw in June or July. That's what I did last year and what I will be doing again this year.

• Like 1