Sign in to follow this  
HEADACHE

Archery buck down!

Got skunked yesterday....

Today my rookie partner took a shot first thing, barely missed a nice 3x3.

We hunted slowly and patiently for a few more hours. Spooked some elk off the top of this mountain, one last elk spooked a different way and I saw he startled a small buck!
I slowly worked my way a couple hundred yards into view... turns out there were 5 bucks.... all bedded up in some thick nasty downed timber.
I crawled to within 85 but no shot.... they eventually saw me and spooked.
I literally chased them about half a mile through the woods. Finally getting them cornered between a mountain bike trail and the corner of a bald hill peak.

Click click click my shaky rangefinder to show a downhill slightly quartering to me shot of 65 yards.
Draw, tried to slow my breath, tried desperately to settle the pin... nearly yanked the trigger as they started to walk off yet again.
I heard the arrow clank hard into the giant downed tree just behind them.... Miss I thought! Crap!
Got on the phone to my buddy, telling him where to go to intercept bucks....

Walked down to find arrow just in case... found broken arrow covered in blood!
HECK YES! arrow went straight through and then into stump! Got back on phone Yelling at him "bloody arrow!"

He made his way back to me.... just as I was about 50 yards into the blood trail.
There he lay piled up in the dead timber! Shot was a touch forward, but exited behind the far shoulder. Good enough to get the job done and finished this guy in less than 60 yards!
My 3rd archery buck and I am glad to say he is bigger than last years!

photobucket-47809-1345931348401.jpg

photobucket-72609-1345931304858.jpg

Heck yeah, #3 and getting bigger! What more can you ask for. Congrats on a very nice buck! Was he the biggest?

• Like 1

Heck yeah, #3 and getting bigger! What more can you ask for. Congrats on a very nice buck! Was he the biggest?

no but he stood still long enough to get the Rocket Steelhead! ha ha big enough for me!

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that buck at all. Great job! Those of us who are desk jockeys (still working at 10pm since 8am on opening weekend Saturday :angry: ) are really jealous. Still looking for archery kill #1 after foolishly letting a small forky walk, not once, but 3 times last year.

• Like 1