Sign in to follow this  
Azjeeper

36A Help

I got a left over tag for 36A does anyone have any input or advice for this unit, I am not after anyones spots or anything just wondering if its safe to camp there park your truck etc.

I've camped and hunted in 36A many times. Sometimes with friends, sometimes with many folks on the Jr. hunts, and sometimes solo. I've never had a problem. (knock on wood.....). There are often a few camps along the Batamote Road if you're looking to camp/sleep in an area where there are others around. In fact, during the Nov Jr. Hunt, the G&F/SCI runs a great youth camp about a mile in from the Arivaca road side..... Some folks also take advantage of the 'pay for camp' facility in the town of Arivaca.

Good luck!

S.

:)

Thank you very much, good advice I probably will want to camp around others strength in numbers since its my 1st time hunting in that unit.

You draw a Coues or Muley tag? I would definitely try and camp either with or near others...safety in numbers tactic is good advice. It seems that I have seen less illegal traffic on the eastern part of the unit...but they can be anywhere. Just be vigilant and pay attention...try not to hunt alone but if you must...may text your coordinates to someone.

don't make a big camp, I'm usually by myself when in that country, I just pop up a cot on a flat spot for camp every night, and it's generally in a different spot

I drew a whitetail tag, and Im going with a friend. Defineatly will carry a sidearm to. I usually back pack in to hunt but was concerned about safety after reading all the stories of what people see but it seems like if you just use common sense you should be fine down there.

I drew a whitetail tag, and Im going with a friend. Defineatly will carry a sidearm to. I usually back pack in to hunt but was concerned about safety after reading all the stories of what people see but it seems like if you just use common sense you should be fine down there.

Common sense goes a long way...I've hunted 36a for a couple of years but never camped there.

Consider the Las Guijas Mtns due to being very rough, which somewhat deters the illegals. Decent bucks there but watch out for Mohave green rattlers!

las guijas dont deter much imo. it is rough and tough to hunt but you def need to keep any eye out, a few years ago during a pig hunt we picked up two stragglers, one was suffering from hypothermia from the cold rain, when i saw her i know she was gone. finally got BP to fly in and take her and later we heard she was dead when she hit the almbulance on the main road, i felt bad for her husband, there is a lot of traffic but they are hard to see cause they dont want to be.

we hunt those mountains once to twice a year, what hunt you on?

Just don't make a fire at night. I know it is tough to do at first but once you get used to no fire it really isn't a big deal and you won't miss it.

It's a shame we have to modify locations and tactics on or own lands. I look forward to the day when we can freely access all areas on these lands again, without risk. Recommend paying attention to all of the cautions/advice given in this thread when hunting the 36's.

Or you could just build a big fire, play loud country music, and every few minutes shoot a couple of rounds from your pistol into the air. That would keep me away, don't care how sore or hungry I was.

• Like 3

I live and hunt in 36a and have done so my entire life. never had any problems. now im not saying other people dont but most of the illegal traffic dont want any trouble. they just want to do whatever they are doin and not be seen. of course always be prepared but i would anywhere i go. good luck on the hunt

• Like 1