Sign in to follow this  
yumabowhunter

New Rifle Question

I bought a used rifle today but I know nothing about it. I was told its a late 70s or early 80s. Ruger M77 chambered in .270 WIN. It's a good looking rifle in excellent condition. I've been wanting a .270 to add to the safe and for the price I couldnt resist.

Is this a decent rifle?

What kind of action is it?

Anything else I should know?

YES!!!

BOLT ACTION haha :) :) :) :) :) MAUSER 98 so 18 hundred.

All you need is a good scope and it will be accurate.

Well made guns. I 've never cared for them as I like the Remington style safety but they are well made. I'm not sure if they make them in the Prescott factory.

Your M77 is the first generation of Ruger bolt action rifles and was manufactured until about 1992. Your model is commonly referred to as a "tang safety" model. After that date, they started to produce the M77 MK II, which was recently followed by the M77 Hawkeye. I like the old tang safety models and have a .338 I bought in 1984 that has taken a lot of animals over the years. I never had to mess with my trigger on it like I've had to do with other rifles I've bought since. They were a good value back in the day because you didn't have to pay extra to have a hinged floorplate like you did with a Remington 700, which you needed to upgrade to the BDL version to get the hinged floorplate, and they also came with scope rings that fit directly on the receiver, and didn't require you to buy bases and rings like the Remington.

I like my M77 MKII .270 so much I bought it twice. I kicked myself for selling it, so I bought another. Nice gun.

Mitch, lets get together to shoot some doves on Saturday, bring the rifle so I can check it out :)

Ernesto C

That is one of my favorite guns. We have the original M77 in several different calibers. My favorite is still the .270 my parents gave me for my first elk hunt in 1979. It is still my go to gun.

During the 1970s I purchased 3 Ruger M77s. The first was a .270, #2 was a bull barrel.22/.250 and #3 was a .300 Mag. I still own and shoot all 3. I was fortunate that they all shot under 1" right out of the box. A little judicious handloading has produced great results in all 3 rifles, especially the .22/.250. Finished working up a new load for the .270 this summer just for fun. After testing loads and various seating depths the result is a 140 grain bullet with a 17 shot average of 3,207 fps. (a max load but safe in this gun with minor pressure signs) A single 5 shot group on the paper measured .688 in. center to center with 3 shots in the group touching.This is from a rifle that has had a few hundred rounds down the barrel.

You will be happy with your rifle. I suggest floating the barrel, a good action bedding job and trigger improvement. Hope you like yours as well as I like mine. PM me if you would like some of my load information.

Good Luck.

I think the rifles/actions are solid but the triggers, like most factory rifles, need work or upgrading.