Sign in to follow this  
grandmawhitetailhunter52

2nd chance Bear

I am posting this for my son (AKA Jeep Wrangler) Opening morning arrived with my mom, dad and a friend on a ridgeline over looking a basin full of cactus ripe with pears. While everyone up was setting their binoculars I realized my tripod was back at home. I had an old one in my jeep that I had gave to my daughter to play with, so back to the jeep I go and after a few minutes of patching together parts I had a set up, not pretty but it worked.

Just after getting back to group I set up to start glassing and immediately spot a Bear on the side on a hill 660 yards away . We watched him slowly work over the ridge and out of sight. We then planned a stock and took off in pursuit. We took off circling around and down wind from where the bear was spotted. We arrived to were we thought we would be within 150 yards from where we last saw him. After a few minutes of glassing we found two guys coming up ridge also after the same bear. They had glassed this bear up from lower on the ridge . Needless to say we never saw this bear again.

I had to leave to go back to a plant shut down and drop my friend Eric off in Superior, so after a few more hours of glassing I took off leaving my parents their for the weekend. When I arrived in Superior I called into work and found out the shut down had been canceled so back to hunting I go.

I found my mom and dad around 2:00pm in afternoon we decided to rest up in the shade until later into the afternoon. After about 15 minutes of this I said I have to move so decided to hike up to a saddle about a mile away and glass and call. Half way to the saddle I spotted a Bear walking across the side of the saddle headed towards a rock out-cropping I called my dad on the radio and told him where to find the bear because I had now lost him behind the rock out-cropping. My dad called back after a few minutes and said that he had found him, that he had went into some brush and trees and was laying down. I was able to close the distance to 200 yards but with all the loose rock was afraid of getting closer. I called my parents and told them I was going to try calling to see if I could get him to stand up. I knew if the Bear responded to my call he would either come straight over the top of the rocks or either side of them. I set up and started calling, and about two minutes into calling my dad called me and said I had a bear coming in at a fast pace but never said from which direction. I was looking to my left, right, behind me where the heck was he at!!! Just then my dad calls back and said he is coming in to you at your right above the rock-outcropping and coming hard. Finally I find him he is 150 yards and moving straight towards me at a trot. I stop calling and the Bear stops . Knowing that the next opportunity to shoot would be at a range of 30 yards or less because of the brush I decided it was now. ONE shot from my ultra mag and it was over. Nice boar which Game and Fish said they thought him to be a 5 year old.

post-4964-0-53888900-1346605662_thumb.jpg

post-4964-0-57034600-1346605698_thumb.jpg

Beautiful coloration. Great job! Did the other hunters tag the first bear?

• Like 1

No the 1st one got away, no one saw that one again that morning, there was actually two bear on the same ridge that morning. Both went into bottom of canyon on back side of ridge and we did not spot them again. The Bear that my son did get that afternoon was in same area just about 1 1/2 miles from the first sighting

Great bear!

• Like 1

Congratulations on a beautiful bear. Great story by the way. :)

TJ

• Like 1