Sign in to follow this  
SpotNStalk

Back from 6B

Was in 6B from wed to sunday. They were going nuts in there but come opener things got quiet. Sat morning things kicked back in and I was surrounded by bugles. After hiking in 1.5 miles I see another hunter and his partner about 200 yards to my right. We were both surrounded by bugles. I decided to go to my left and chase those bugles and to make some space between me and the other hunter hoping he would go right. I was moving in slowly on a herd as they were feeding. I hear some noise to my right and its the other 2 guys. We make eye contact and I cont to move in. After covering about 200 yds in 1HR I settle in waiting for the bull to walk through. I look up on a small hill and there is the other guys and before I can even look back at the elk I hear it "The Hoochie Mama"! it goes off about 8 times in a row and before the 3rd one came out they were on a full run.Rrrrrr!!!! Sat eve was quiet with one spike walking through. Sunday morning the Bulls were back at it but got busted by 6 cows and a one horned spike at 32 yds. Had to come back for my kids games. Headed back Thursday...

Lol. Hoochie mama = The worst call to bring on an az elk hunt. Surprised that thing is still on the market.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Not the dang ole' Hoochie Mama. Worst sound to hear in the woods during an elk hunt. I was in 4A for last few days, and boy was the rut dynamite.

I remember opening day in 6b years ago when the hoochie mama was still kind of new. As it was getting light enough to see all you could hear was the distinct sound of a hoochie mama coming from all directions. We couldn't hold in the laughter and moved to a new spot. Good luck to you on the second part of your hunt.

Good luck next week! Hopefully some of the hunters will thin out and you will not have as much competition! That call is too easy to over do and can sound bad but so are the mouth call in the wrong mouth. Pimos does make on heck of a call.........Hyperlip single..........call very soft and sparingly!