Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Best Tacoma 3" Lift

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I've got an '08 taco that needs more ground clearance. I'm looking at some 33" tires and 3" lift kits. ToyTec has a nice one by Old Man Emu with Bilstein shocks, Skyjacker has another for around 1/2 the price that looks good.

Just wondering what the best way is to get a little ground clearance and run bigger tires.

I have a 4" on my 96 F350 from Skyjacker great quality kit they set the standard for the industry.

For a tacoma stick with toytech!!! I had just the bilstein adjustables up front with an extra leaf in back. I had 33" tires on my 08 tacoma. If i were to do it over i would go with the 3" coilovers from toytech or old man emu. My truck still handled great with 2.5" lift from the bilsteins though if you dont want to spend 1k. I wish i still had that truck! Starting to not like m f250.

Love my Taco, but it isn't the same truck Toyota put out in the 80's. The stock ground clearance for an "offroad" package is very poor. The body panels are made out of some kind of "crumple" foil steel, waaaay too much plastic...

But I love the reliability of the engine, drive train, the electric locker is solid. I took this truck up a really nasty trail not long after buying it that I didn't think a stock truck could make.

This truck isn't even paid off yet and it's been beaten up. I bought black, that was a huge mistake, shows every scratch like a battle scar.

At this point, I want to lift it 3" probably with an Old Man Emu lift, put some good tires on, and just Durabak the whole thing. I've durabak'd a 4Runner from inside out and you couldn't scratch it with a nail.

I lifted my sons 02 Taco with Old Man Emu stuff. I got it from Toytec Lifts in CO. I payed about $40 extra and they assembled the struts to the coil. When they arrived they were ready to bolt in. Otherwise you need a spring compressor or take it to Pep Boys or Firestone etc. I also put new Dakar rear springs in the rear. My FJ is running Old Man Emu too. I have the 885 front coils. For the money it is probably the way to go. If you have extra money I would go with adjustable coilovers. Icon Dynamics makes some nice stuff as does Toytec. Try calling Expeditioneers here in town. They are some good people and will help you out.

Coach, not sure what your price range is, but look at the camburg and total chaos kits. I went with the 6" fabtech and my truck will go anyhwere a jeep will go. I know a couple of guys that did both the kits that total chaos offers and the terrain t.heir trucks can go over is amazing hope that helps a little bit. I ran 35's for a long time then I dropped down to 33's just for a little better fuel economy.

• Like 1

I had a 03 tacoma for 8 yrs. I loved that truck, it went any where I took it. I put a leveling kit on the front end and added a leaf to the rear end. pretty inexpensive. The back is tight, but can take some weight before sagging. Works great for wood hauling. You wont get the fancy 33in tires, but it still looks great! I sold mine last year and went with a tundra! 6in lift with 35, 12.5,18! Now thats a truck.

Nice truck double lunger! What are the chances of capturing a lightning strike when you're taking pictures of your truck?!

Thank you!!! And it's slim to none on the lightning capture..... I sent that pic to the rim company that I have and they used it on their website! It's pretty cool

I put a revtech lift/leveling kit on my 06' off road tacoma right after i bought it. Front spacers and rear add a leafs. Think it cost me $200. After a couple years the rear add a leafs cracked and fell apart. Then I had Arizona spring in Tucson rebuild the leaf springs and add a much thicker full legnth leaf $250. It definatly rides stiffer but it supports a lot more weight now. If you do stick with the factory strut+spacer keep an eye on the lower bushing in the strut. I had one wear out and the strut snapped off during my antelope hunt. New strut from toyota was only $120 but I lost a day of hunting.

Coach,

It's important to note what you will be doing with your truck.

Depending on you wanting to be blazing through the desert at high speeds or carrying a heavy load or towing, dictates what will be best for you.

Also keep in mind, what works for someone specifically, may not be the best for you. Depending on you having an access cab, single, or double cab etc.

Don't just go with a specific brand either. You have to choose the right set up from that specific brand in order to suit your needs.

Choosing the correct spring rate on coils and leaf springs etc. is very important so that you are happy with your ride quality.

I understand you simply want more clearance, there are cheap ways to accomplish this. You will sacrifice comfort amongst other things though.

The brands most have posted on here are quality products. You may even look at using something different for the front than the rear.

The weight of your truck is important as is the ratio of weight front and rear. Your off-road shop should be asking you all these questions.

Hope this helps!

Coach, you've seen my truck...just an FYI, I've got a 3' suspension lift on it. Icon adjustable coil-overs (standard travel) in the front with OME rear shocks and leaf springs. I didn't install different (long travel) control arms in the front and this set up suits me fine. My truck is heavy with the plate bumpers, winch, skid plates, rock sliders, shell, etc....so I had to take all this into consideration when choosing my set up.

I also went with a larger diameter tire to gain clearance, so I changed out the gear ratio on my differentials to 4.56

That put me closer to stock acceleration and so forth. Pulls the hills just fine. I chose to go with KM2 mud terrains. Not the most street friendly but they do phenomenal off-road. Many instances never needing to put into 4wd or activate the locker. I like these tires and had them on my previous truck also.

Double Lunger, your truck looks great! Nice job!

Chef, if you want, shoot me an email @ jason.jones@sage.com. BTW, I LOVE the way you had your Taco set up - looks like what I'm going for.

My truck is the double cab with the offroad package. It has done really well stock on some pretty rough situations, but it's just too low to the ground. I don't have a heavy bumper or anything like that. I've seen all the cheap $300 spacer lifts, but I don't want to compromise too much. I'm hoping to spend around a grand for the lift and get some good tires and wheels. I'm looking at the 33" Toyo Open Country or Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar (285/75 R16). The best all around lift I've seen so far is the ToyTech/Old Man Emu with good coil over, bilstein shocks and upgraded rear leafs.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and getting me headed in the right direction.