Sign in to follow this  
jhedg

SHADE!!!

Well I found a good spot that has views for a long ways today out scouting, but there are no trees to give me any shade, and I have the Oct. hunt, and it was hot as hellllllllll :) what do you guys use to keep your self from frying out there in the early hunts, thinking of a small blind, or umbrella atached to my seat. Anyone use them to stay out of the sun? or what do you use/thanks

A sheet that was made for me with holes for my binos, its light tan on the outside and black on the inside. Or a little heavier option is a clamp on umbrella, like this one but smaller.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=41586&Click=310393&gclid=CK2Ouuf0z7ICFWThQgodEB0AwQ

look up portable shelter, not sure how much it weighs but it's like 1/2 of a small tent.

James

just save up a couple of those umbrellas from you pina coladas. \"/

seriously though, the problem is if you want to glass into the shade than you have to be looking almost into the sun. unless you have a sheet or soemthing over you, anything close is going to block your field of view to where you want to glass. you almost need something high that casts a big shadow and allows you to glass underneath the object casting the shadow. hope that makes sense. good luck. let us know what you end up using.

I carry a rain poncho and I set it up as a lean-to or over head cover. The poles are light and don't take much to set up. I carry this on My pack frame and, the frame is modified with a camp seat. this way my frame becomes a back rest and if need be a shooting rest also.. The poncho I got from cabela's and it's a good one.

1. GEt up real early.

2. Spot deer just as sun rises.

3. Shoot deer.

4. Pack him out and get em back to camp.

5. Sit in lawn chair with iced beverage in hand in the shade while the noon sun is beating down on all them and their camo sombreros.

Ha! Seriously though, camo sombrero!

1. GEt up real early.

2. Spot deer just as sun rises.

3. Shoot deer.

4. Pack him out and get em back to camp.

5. Sit in lawn chair with iced beverage in hand in the shade while the noon sun is beating down on all them and their camo sombreros.

Ha! Seriously though, camo sombrero!

If I saw someone with a camo sombrero and they hadn't tagged out yet I would probably send them in the right direction. Great posts guys super funny. October is nothing go set up cams in June,July and August that's what real heat is. October is perfect second to December Ha!

• Like 1

I only sit in the sun as a very last resort. Camo or not deer look for movement and a big hat just increases your profile and a wide brim is easier to spot. Camo breaks up the pattern but deer are color blind.

I use a small clamp on umbrella I got from Sportsmans. It's around $8. I can clamp it on a chair back, the branch of a bush/small tree, pack frame, or walking stick / hiking pole. Sometimes you have to be a little creative. It can withstand a 5 mph wind...not much more. The lower section is flexible, to change the angle. It keeps me in hunt mode a lot longer on hot days. Here's a few pics.

post-2983-0-41382100-1348763456_thumb.jpg

post-2983-0-52137000-1348763479_thumb.jpg

post-2983-0-80693500-1348763525_thumb.jpg