Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Copper fouling w/ Accubonds

Yeah there ya go. Sorry, I haven't used them in a while the name slipped my mind.

I've always thought they were OK. Not great but not horrible.

Be careful not to leave some of these solvents in "overnight"! Most of these products are ammonia based and will corrode the bore. I always follow up with some Hoppes #9 to clean any residual out.

how soon do you all clean your gun after shooting...I use Accubonds and the gun is ready to go for next weekend...did not want to clean it so it will sit for 2 weeks after shooing 6 Accubonds.... I use Butch Bore Cleaner and after a few swaps it comes clean

Guess I'll have to give some of these other products a try. I usually clean my rifles within a day or two of shooting them, and usually less than 10 rounds through them. Butch's has worked well before, but for some reason it's just not getting it out. I wonder if Butch's has a short shelf life where it could lose their potency after a while and doesn't work as well.

I will clean my rifles thoroughly before sighting in takes place, and will shoot maybe 15 -20 rounds of each to get consistent groups especially the last rounds before going hunting and call it good. Never take a clean gun hunting.

I will clean my rifles thoroughly before sighting in takes place, and will shoot maybe 15 -20 rounds of each to get consistent groups especially the last rounds before going hunting and call it good. Never take a clean gun hunting.

+1

+1

+2, I'll run a bore snake while the rifle is still warm and call it good. I don't clean copper until I see a decrease in accuracy. Maybe every 200 or so rounds.

I haven't noticed Accubonds fouling more than other bullets in my 257 Wby. I do notice more stubborn fouling after I shoot different brands of bullets during the same shooting session (Accubonds, Game Kings and Bergers).

I tried the Butches Bore Shine, it worked ok but the smell is overpowering.

Barnes CR-10 works good but you shouldn't leave it in the barrel more than 10 minutes at a time I think.

The Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner works great but if you press that trigger 1/2 second too long you get a bunch of foam in your magazine box area.

I really like the Wipe Out - Patch Out liquid. It works just as good as the foam and doesn't get into all the places I don't want it. Oh yeah and it doesn't have a super strong smell.

I have not noticed any extra fouling with accubonds. About the same as any other bullet. I also only strip copper once I notice the accuracy or point of inpact change. Some rifles it is 50 rounds, some up to 300 or so.

I used to use Sweets 762 but found I like the foaming wipeout better. Works just about as good, but the odor is less offensive, my wife even lets me use it in the house. I doesnt seem to give wood finishes any problems if removed quickly and it is best to be used with a bore guide in place to keep it out of the magazine area.

I thought I should post a follow up to this, since I solved part of my problem. The bottle of Butch's that I was originaly using was about 1 year old, and used for many cleaning sessions. That bottle ran out at the end of the last cleaning session. After another trip to the range (using Accubonds again), I had more copper fouling to contend with. I opened a new bottle of Butch's that I already had, and it worked flawlessly like it should. I also noticed that the ammonia smell from the new bottle was much stronger. So I'm guessing that after a period of time where a bottle is opened up, it may start to degrade slightly and be less effective. Thanks again for all the input and suggestions. I am still wanting to try some of the other products mentioned on this post.

I've used most of them, and the CR-10 has worked the best for me. There is a reason it stripps the finnish off of the stock. It is a powerful solvent. I shoot Barnes which leaves a lot of copper to clean out. Also don't leave it in the barrel for more than 5 minutes.

Might also try shooting the tubbs final finish bore system down the barrel to smooth out any imperfections there may be and see if that will reduce the fouling any.