Sign in to follow this  
azpredator@work

scope rings - need your help

Just bought my son a sako a7 300 win mag and leupold vx3 6.5 x 20. Don't know much about rifles - just want to give my son a good set up. Now, it's time for scope rings fo this set up. What would you guys recommend? Thank you,

Don't get leupold. Look at talley or Warne.

+1 some leupold weaver style are good but talley and warne are the way to go for a nice tight alighnment. Best bang for your buck! You could look into a moa base as well with that caliber and scope. More adjustment than your standard setup

I have used both the factory rings and Talley Lite rings on both Tikkas we own without an issue. The Talley Lite rings feel like they are half the weight of the factory rings. I have Leupolds on my Winchester and Remington rifles and like them on those rigs. If you need rings I'd get the Talley if I were in your shoes.

I'm not sure why leopold rings would not be a good choice for a leopold scope. I have used leopold prw rings in the same situation your in and have been very happy with them. I also have several sets of talleys and they both accomplish the same task. shayne

I have found DNZ scope mounts to be very good qualilty. I have them on a Remington Model 7 and an DPMS AR, both with a Leopold scopes. Good mounts for the price.

Switched all of my leopolds to tally 1 piece. For me Anytime I can eliminate one less variable to ruin a hunt the better. In this instance it's eliminating the cance of rings becoming loose from the base. It's also a plus that the Tally one piece rings and base cost around $40. Verses purchasing rings for $30 and a base for $30-$40 seperate. The Tallys will save you some coin.

Speedy.

EGW, badger ordinance, Leupold Mark 4, Nightforce are all of the highest quality.

Burris signature zee rings. Hands down the best ring made. They come with plastic inserts that align the scope perfectly and eliminate the need for lapping. Can also get different thickness inserts to adjust the amount of elevation adjustment if need be.

EGW, badger ordinance, Leupold Mark 4, Nightforce are all of the highest quality.

This!

But if you want simple go with the Burris set up and you won't have to sweat alignment, ring lapping, or over tightening (within reason). Torque everything per mfg specs so you don't ruin your new scope. Set up is very simple with Burris!

Switched all of my leopolds to tally 1 piece. For me Anytime I can eliminate one less variable to ruin a hunt the better. In this instance it's eliminating the cance of rings becoming loose from the base. It's also a plus that the Tally one piece rings and base cost around $40. Verses purchasing rings for $30 and a base for $30-$40 seperate. The Tallys will save you some coin.

Speedy.

+1

When you finally put the scope on used loctite on the screws for the rings and let it sit for 24 hours before hammering the scope at the range.

When you finally put the scope on used loctite on the screws for the rings and let it sit for 24 hours before hammering the scope at the range.

Be careful of what type of locktite you use! DO NOT USE THE RED STUFF! They make a blue locktite that is made to where you can still remove the bases if you want to down the road if you decide to change your setup. I only and recommend only to locktite your bases and not your rings.

My 2 cents