Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Deer Calling

I kinda hate to bring this up with all the discussion about baiting and ethical hunting.

But has anybody ever called in a deer using a varmint call.

I have called in besides varmints, pigs, cows, crows and antelope.

Just was wondering..............

I've called in many WT does. It's usually been between August and November when the fawns are still small. I had a doe one time run right up to me while I was sitting out in the open calling from on top of a large rock. She got within about five feet and it probably took her a good 30 seconds to realize the noise I was making wasn't her baby.

I've called in several does while calling coyotes.

The sound they make is very soft. I called 1 in to about 10yds and I could barely here her, granted it was windy.

Once while scouting I stopped to make some coyote sets and hit the fawn distress and 4 bucks that were bedded down across the little canyon I was in they all stood up to see what all the racket was.

I called in a coues doe a couple seasons back using the primos can call.

I talked to a nice guy last January and he told me about the coues buck his son in law shot the weekend before and he rattled him in to about 15yds.

I'm reading "DEER TALK" by Don Laubach and Mark Henkel.

Gives a lot of info on his research with his call "The Deer Stopper"

I usually spot n stalk during the rut hunt but I might try spot n call this year.

Might take a lot of trial and error but it's all good in the woods!

James

After I am finished glassing for WT and before I leave the basin I usually will call on my Scercy call to see if I can get a deers attention. About 20% of the time a curious WT that I have not yet seen will stand up to investigate

• Like 1

After I am finished glassing for WT and before I leave the basin I usually will call on my Scercy call to see if I can get a deers attention. About 20% of the time a curious WT that I have not yet seen will stand up to investigate

good tactic!

I've called in several does while calling coyotes.

The sound they make is very soft. I called 1 in to about 10yds and I could barely here her, granted it was windy.

Once while scouting I stopped to make some coyote sets and hit the fawn distress and 4 bucks that were bedded down across the little canyon I was in they all stood up to see what all the racket was.

I called in a coues doe a couple seasons back using the primos can call.

I talked to a nice guy last January and he told me about the coues buck his son in law shot the weekend before and he rattled him in to about 15yds.

I'm reading "DEER TALK" by Don Laubach and Mark Henkel.

Gives a lot of info on his research with his call "The Deer Stopper"

I usually spot n stalk during the rut hunt but I might try spot n call this year.

Might take a lot of trial and error but it's all good in the woods!

James

I have a Deer Stopper but haven't used it yet! I need to get on that and figure out how to use it effectively.

The deer stopper works very well on mule deer. I have called several does in to within 10'. I have never tried it on coues deer though. I think it could work really well on the late hunts.