Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Last Chance Monster

On the drive home from our hunt, Cole, who reads articles on this site, asked me if I would post pictures of his "monster coues". I had a big smile on my face as I told him indeed I would.

We had 3 Unit 27 whitetail tags going into this weekend.

Must I say, we had our work cut out for us.

A last minute football game meant a late start and complete change of plans had us driving in to one of our favorite areas at daylight opening morning.

Not a good thing when you see multiple cars parked at the trail head.

My stomach dropped as did Coles and Wyatts.

But what do you do......go hunting.

Day 1

Spent half the day glassing with no results.

Moved to a new area and glassed until dark, still no results except for two small mule deer bucks and multiple mule deer doe along the road, plus one bear siting.

Day 2

Back to original trail, no cars today, we glassed all morning. Sitting on the hillside listening to Cole complain about how all we can find is mule deer while driving down the road.

Most of you Dad's know the pressure of trying to get your kid a shot at a buck, it ain't easy.

I finally let him have it, told him I "sucked" at finding deer and he could go find a new dad for deer season if wanted.

Spent the rest of the day glassing til dark at a new area that we were not familiar with.

Day 3

Sunday morning, I ain't getting out of bed to help that spoiled kid find a deer. Told him to just go walk the ridge there close to camp.

He came back about an hour and a half later, no luck but had found a mule deer skull, small two point freak.

He was pretty happy about that but still wanted to hunt.

Wyatt came to the rescue, told Cole he would take Cole to another glassing area we had talked about trying.

So, off they go. I am happy, Cole is going to have to find his own deer and I am going to recover from two days of hiking.

My wife and I are slowly cleaning up camp, talking out loud, fire going, 9:00 in the morning and here come 5 mule deer doe walking 15 yards from the back of my parked truck, just passing through. Unbelievable..........

Still cleaning up camp, 10:30, here comes Wyatt and Cole in Wyatts truck....they are both giving me the "thumbs up".......I am thinking they are just messing with me.

Low and behold, they had found this buck and Cole had knocked him down. I was pretty prould of him as he told the story.

How he identified the deer before he shot making sure it was a whitetail, how he missed the first two shots but hit on the third.

How he and Wyatt gutted the deer and properly took care of the animal.

post-2034-0-33362800-1351532299.jpg

post-2034-0-38901300-1351532396_thumb.jpg

post-2034-0-02652500-1351532416_thumb.jpg

As you can tell, he ain't a monster, but for this kid he was pretty happy to find a buck and get his first coues whitetail deer.

The weekend was spent telling deer hunting stories, failures and successes, stories about how sometimes it isn't the deer but the being together as a faimly and friends.

To you young ones out there, thank those around you who take the time to get you out in the woods and hunt, tell stories around the campfire and enjoy our great outdoors.

And thanks to my young ones who make it worth my time to go out and enjoy a passion I love but have little time to enjoy, and may we have many more hunts together.

• Like 1

Congratulations Cole! It isn't the inches but the memories and the fun of spending time outdoors. Nice Buck.

Way to hang in there Cole! Congrats on a successful hunt!!!

That is awesome and way to get it done on your own. I am sure that with that kind of persistance there will be many more in the future.

Aaron