Jbird

Killing small bucks

Killing spikes and forkies should be illegal even at long range just show off. :-)

What if ur a meat hunter? U can't eat antlers and a lot of people don't care about the size of the antlers, they hunt for the meat. Just like cow or doe hunting.

• Like 4

Ok except for meat hunters. Although its probably cheaper to buy meat compared to all it costs to buy bait and salt and all the gear and fuel and ammo to practice for the LR spike killin'. And don't forget the dozen cameras just to find the deer. Can't find them without bait and trail cameras you know.

There are some really good debates on the forum right now! I personally would love to see a rule that requires a minimum of 3 points on at least one antler. Can you imagine what it would do to the quality of deer? The spikes and 2-points get absolutely slaughtered on these first hunts. Since ethics are such a hot topic right now, how about the ethics of letting a young deer wipe the milk off his lips and at least reach adulthood and breed a few times before we take him out. Nothing against meat hunters if that is really all your in it for, I love the meat as much as anyone, but if you are in it for a trophy, show a little restraint and help manage the quality of the deer a bit by laying off the jevenile deer. I am sure this idea would throw the G&F harvest objectives out of wack and they would have to issue twice as many tags to meet their object and then it really would be WWIII out there. This topic has the potential of getting hot fast!

• Like 2

All the trophy hunters don't shoot spikes or forks. My thing is that my family and I will always be drawn together, and we don't have the option to pick and choose bucks all the time. When we can only go out for the weekend usually, and we have four tags that we want to fill, it is hard to pass up on a fork. None of us are just begging to shoot a fork, but when it comes down to it meat is meat, and we want to get our moneys worth on each and every hunt.

I understand the "troll" thing. You guys think its all aout you. It's what you guys think that matters and anyone who goes against you is wrong. I get that. Years ago it was illegal to kill spikes. Is it a great accomplishment to kill a spike or forkie? Maybe for a kid on his first hunt. But all the effort that you guys (advanced members) put in and you come home with a spike or little fork? Anyone can kill a spike. Act like you talk big hunters.

I have never been called a trophy hunter ever. Am I proud of the long shot I made. Yes. Did I do it to show off? No. Would I have liked to kill a bigger deer most definitely. The reason that little spike died was because I didn't want to throw all the time, hard work and money away that it takes to go coues hunting. There are two sides to every coin jbird grow up and get over it or go cry over on some Justin bieber forum where that crap is tolerated.

• Like 10

There are some really good debates on the forum right now! I personally would love to see a rule that requires a minimum of 3 points on at least one antler. Can you imagine what it would do to the quality of deer? The spikes and 2-points get absolutely slaughtered on these first hunts. Since ethics are such a hot topic right now, how about the ethics of letting a young deer wipe the milk off his lips and at least reach adulthood and breed a few times before we take him out. Nothing against meat hunters if that is really all your in it for, I love the meat as much as anyone, but if you are in it for a trophy, show a little restraint and help manage the quality of the deer a bit by laying off the jevenile deer. I am sure this idea would throw the G&F harvest objectives out of wack and they would have to issue twice as many tags to meet their object and then it really would be WWIII out there. This topic has the potential of getting hot fast!

And what happens when someone shoots a buck that doesn't meet that requirement, walks up to it, sees its too small then walks off and continues hunting?!

And what happens when someone shoots a buck that doesn't meet that requirement, walks up to it, sees its too small then walks off and continues hunting?!

That is a good point and would happen from time to time just like when people accidently shoot does. There are several other states that have similar requirements in place for elk and deer. The drastic increase in the quality of Utah's elk is partly due to the 6-points on one side rule in many of their units.

This has nothing to do with ethics. It legal by the state of AZ and some people are just as happy with a spike as some people are with a booner........ im more happy with a forkie with my bow then a 100in buck with my gun.......

• Like 2