Jbird

Killing small bucks

What if ur a meat hunter? U can't eat antlers and a lot of people don't care about the size of the antlers, they hunt for the meat. Just like cow or doe hunting.

just think of how much MORE meat you would get if you let that little guy grow up!

LOL yep you would get another 5 to 10lbs of meat if you let that coues grow up!!!!!!!!!!

What if ur a meat hunter? U can't eat antlers and a lot of people don't care about the size of the antlers, they hunt for the meat. Just like cow or doe hunting.

just think of how much MORE meat you would get if you let that little guy grow up!

LOL yep you would get another 5 to 10lbs of meat if you let that coues grow up!!!!!!!!!!

My back and knees tell me your calculations are a bit off or i've just been (un)fortunate to shoot bigger bodied deer.

What makes you the be all end all of coues hunting? I didn't know I had to have approval from the mighty omnipotent jbird to pull the trigger on my hunt.

There you go stomper. Nobody tells you what to shoot. You just had to prove you could.

What makes you the be all end all of coues hunting? I didn't know I had to have approval from the mighty omnipotent jbird to pull the trigger on my hunt.

There you go stomper. Nobody tells you what to shoot. You just had to prove you could.

Kinda sounds like you have something to prove by the way your going about all of this. Agree to disagree and move on.

San Carlos Apache Reservation Deer hunts changed their requirements last year with "3 point or more on either side....not counting the eye guards". I've seen alot of nice big forks out there this year so now I can't wait for next year's hunt.

• Like 1

I agree that there is nothing wrong with shooting a spike or forky if that is what you want. I am not trying to be sentimental but I personally would rather kill a buck that has had a chance to live for awhile. Never really had the desire to kill juvenile animals, even when I was young. Guess I got it from my Dad. Just like there is nothing wrong with going to the lake and catching a limit of 10" trout and having a fish fry if that is what you want. I would rather put the 10 inchers back in hopes that I could come back in a few months and catch him when he is 14". Just my preference. Just like some fisheries are managed for trophy fish with mimimum sizes, I would like to see G&F manage some deer units for trophies with a minimum size just like has been done successfully in some other states.

• Like 2

San Carlos Apache Reservation Deer hunts changed their requirements last year with "3 point or more on either side....not counting the eye guards". I've seen alot of nice big forks out there this year so now I can't wait for next year's hunt.

And they grow monsters out there! Someday I want to hunt that way, such an awesome hunt from what I hear.

to me, saying "meat hunter" and "coues deer" in the same sentence is contradictory.

• Like 2

My back and knees tell me your calculations are a bit off or i've just been (un)fortunate to shoot bigger bodied deer.

I understand where you are comming from but im pretty sure between a forkie and a mature coues deer you would be hard pressed to net more then 10 To 15 lbs of meat considering you only get around 60% of meat back from carcuss weight. Now elk on the other hand is another story huge difference between a mature bull and a raghorn...

to me, saying "meat hunter" and "coues deer" in the same sentence is contradictory.

Lol true but you can draw a coues deer tag much easier then mule deer

I think this is sort of like the presidential debates on TV...we can discuss differing viewpoints all we want and I doubt anyone's opinion will be changed. And that's what I've really enjoyed about this site...all the differing viewpoints and approaches to hunting.

For anyone who has taken the AZGFD hunter ed program, this relates to the 5 stages of a hunter. Even though it seems pretty hokey during the training. We're all at different stages in our hunting life and our goals are different. I often feel like a combination of a couple of stages that aren't even next to each other. I've killed my share of deer in other states, but as far as AZ hunting and especially coues I've struck out for a few years. I'm at the point now of wanting to put any legal meat in the freezer. I sure this may change over time and with more success...or maybe I've gone straight to the last stage since I enjoy the hunting experience more than anything now. (Geez I hope I'm not getting that old already :D )

As others have pointed out the results of various management approaches have been well documented in other states and areas. If the law changes then I'll most certainly be the first to comply with whatever regulations are put into place.

Bottom line...to each his own and makes for good discussion but not worth arguing or getting aggressive or defensive about it. Certainly not name-calling even though I still think trolls have pretty cool hair. :D

• Like 2

Coues taste so much better though. So yeah I'm a meat hunter and that's why I hunt the tasty ones and not the carp ones. There is no denying the difference in quality of meat between the two.

So I have to be a member for a long time to voice my opinion. HAHAHAHA! You guys watch some movies and want to be a sniper. You find gadgets and shortcuts and want to kick back and take the easy way out. You get offended and get to the names. You're like little kids.

After reading several of your post on previous threads, it seems as though you are out to pick some fights on this forum? If you don't like it, you don't have to be apart of it. I don't agree with everything that everyone does on here either, but there's no reason to pick fights over it. If you like the site awesome, enjoy it with the rest of us. If not find another forum.

• Like 8

My dad used to say "killing small bucks is like dating fat chicks, It's whatever floats your boat"

BTW-my oldest brother likes his ladies....... "healthy", as he calls them.

Can we please quit throwing gas on this fire please!!!!!!!!