Jbird

Killing small bucks

Jbird,

You have done a lot of talking, but we have yet to see any 'proof in the pudding". How about some pictures of big bucks you've killed with a knife, bare hands, or less then 100 yards with a rifle? Or are you all talk and have never killed a mature buck?

I would like to see G&F manage some deer units for trophies with a minimum size just like has been done successfully in some other states.

They do have the some method for this i can't remember what they called it something like "alternative management" or something like that. I think 36C is one of the units. Don't think it's working too well.

Jbird,

You have done a lot of talking, but we have yet to see any 'proof in the pudding". How about some pictures of big bucks you've killed with a knife, bare hands, or less then 100 yards with a rifle? Or are you all talk and have never killed a mature buck?

With over 7000 posts to my 34 it seems you've done much more talking than I have. I never said I've killed many - or any big bucks. I don't use cameras or bait to find deer. I don't use deer to prove how good I am. I don't shoot baby deer. I don't take " maybe" shots. I have the same box of ammo I bought 10 years ago with 10 rounds left. I put in plenty of work to hit what I aim at. I know my deer rifle. The rest are just toys. My .50 is my big toy. I hunt on the same mtns, mostly on my property, and shoot one round at a deer I know I can kill. I give half the meat away. And I don't think all that much of myself. But I do call it as I see it.

And now I see I have to move on. I'm also waiting on word about where to go. I hope to go back east and help for a few weeks. My job/profession allows me freedom to do what I want.

" don't get hung up on scores. Get hung up on hunting" lark

Where is he anyway?

Jbird,

He's probably a PETA activist! That would explain the cartoon profile picture, instead of a animal he has harvested.

• Like 1

Jbird,

With over 7000 posts to my 34 it seems you've done much more talking than I have. I never said I've killed many - or any big bucks. I don't use cameras or bait to find deer. I don't use deer to prove how good I am. I don't shoot baby deer. I don't take " maybe" shots. I have the same box of ammo I bought 10 years ago with 10 rounds left. I put in plenty of work to hit what I aim at. I know my deer rifle. The rest are just toys. My .50 is my big toy. I hunt on the same mtns, mostly on my property, and shoot one round at a deer I know I can kill. I give half the meat away. And I don't think all that much of myself. But I do call it as I see it.

And now I see I have to move on. I'm also waiting on word about where to go. I hope to go back east and help for a few weeks. My job/profession allows me freedom to do what I want.

" don't get hung up on scores. Get hung up on hunting" lark

Where is he anyway?

Ok, so where are these bucks you have killed over the past 10 years? Its easy to use words, not so easy to post pictures if you're full of schit.

BTW, I've been a member here for nearly 9 years... Yeah, I've got a lot of posts.... But all the BS that comes out of my mouth (or fingertips I guess here) I have backed up with photos. Haven't seen a single one from you....

No PETA for me. All of my antlers are hanging on my shed wall. Some are nice and some small. But none are spikes. My deer don't mean anything except time in the outdoors and hunting. My avatar was given to me by someone here.

I don't consider myself a trophy hunter. but I have taken a few "forkies" over the years, when I couldn't find the big one. I love venison jerky, so sometimes I might shoot a meat buck, but not often. I have harvested enough deer over the years, where I just want to enjoy the hunt, and shoot a mature buck if opportunity provides.

Wildlife management aside, if someone wants a spike or forkie, thats their prerogative.

• Like 4

To clarify for some elders on here who do not follow some of the younger culture things, Jbird's photo is from the show South Park, and the character goes around annoying everyone, otherwise being a "troll".

The main reason I am posting though is because I am really interested in this idea of regulations on deer. I used to live in Washington St. when I was younger and they had the restrictions that bucks had to be a 3x2 or larger. I just think this is interesting because there was also over the counter doe tags. So all the meat hunters would just get doe tags, so I am just asking on here what people think would happen. My thought process just right now thinking about it would be that if you had to shoot 3x2 or along the lines of that the success rate would drastically drop. Yes there would be many bigger bucks, but couldn't there then be problems with overpopulation? Or even the rise of population with coyotes or lions?

Again I don't mean to step on any ones toes, I just wanted to hear some productive and healthy feedback from some knowledgeable hunters, and see what they think would happen, because this really is a unique and debatable topic.

If u all are realy meat hunters put in for a mule deer tag they are twice the body size and then even there it should be three point or bigger

Yes that is true but there are 10x more wt tags to md....... and not many at all down south here compared to what it use to be......

Nobody should tell someone how to hunt or what to shoot as long as its legal. Forcing your way of thinking on someone is what libs do (I don't do it, I don't understand how someone would want to do it therefor they shouldn't do it). There are no shortage of mature bucks in arizona! We have a ton of land that don't even get touched. That being said some units have way to many tags in them. We all see posts that we don't do or won't do but as long as its legal I see no problem. We have enough people after us than to be going after each other.

• Like 6

There are some really good debates on the forum right now! I personally would love to see a rule that requires a minimum of 3 points on at least one antler. Can you imagine what it would do to the quality of deer? The spikes and 2-points get absolutely slaughtered on these first hunts.

Well recently a 2x2 was posted on this forum that scored 109...and I would LOVE TO SHOOT!! I guess that thing would have to die of old age under a 3 pt rule...

Plus there is no guarantee that a 2pt or spike will EVER develop into a 3pt... those deer would breed with the does and their genetics would pass along. Spike and forks have ALWAYS been slaughtered on the first hunts...

• Like 3

No PETA for me. All of my antlers are hanging on my shed wall. Some are nice and some small. But none are spikes. My deer don't mean anything except time in the outdoors and hunting. My avatar was given to me by someone here.

As I said earlier.. Lets see them.

• Like 1

There are some really good debates on the forum right now! I personally would love to see a rule that requires a minimum of 3 points on at least one antler. Can you imagine what it would do to the quality of deer? The spikes and 2-points get absolutely slaughtered on these first hunts.

Well recently a 2x2 was posted on this forum that scored 109...and I would LOVE TO SHOOT!! I guess that thing would have to die of old age under a 3 pt rule...

Plus there is no guarantee that a 2pt or spike will EVER develop into a 3pt... those deer would breed with the does and their genetics would pass along. Spike and forks have ALWAYS been slaughtered on the first hunts...

I think that is why g&f don't apply 3point rule because of those 2point genes. I know of an area that has a gene pool like that with 3 or 4 bucks together all forkies lol. The biggest one what's just massy and webed. Looked goofy lol