Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

Trouble Bore Sighting

I am having issues bore sighting a NEW TO ME Winchester Model 70. I am waiting for a Nightforce 1 Piece Base that is backordered, so in the mean time I put a two piece steel weaver setup on it. I have tried two different ring and scope setups, and both times have found that the laser dot is too far right in the scope to be able to adjust the reticle to meet the dot. One setup was Zeiss Conquest with 1" Warne Rings. The other was a brand new Vortex Viper HS LR with 30mm Burris Signature Zee Rings.

I am really frustrated. I have never had this issue before. Normally things are pretty close, but not this time.

Any words of advice???

Not sure the numbers. They came in a single pack for Winchester Model 70.

I was worried about whether the holes in the receiver were misaligned. It isn't a precise method, but I took a thin thread and centered it on all four holes. There is a hash mark for the BOSS at the end of the barrel. Everything seemed to align. I guess maybe the bases might be off???

When I used to sell guns, we would on occasion get a few rifles, that had the holes drilled slightly off center. We used to send the gun back to the factory, and they would send us a new gun and acknowledge the problem.

Ive never been a fan of bore sighting. Ive always startes at 25yards if it was a new scope. a few inches high at 25 is near dead on at 100.

Ive never been a fan of bore sighting. Ive always startes at 25yards if it was a new scope. a few inches high at 25 is near dead on at 100.

Hard to go wrong starting close and working out

Well, I bought the rifle from a guy on here who had bought it new, and he had a scope mounted. I would figure if there was a problem he would have said something, or would have taken it back himself, so I think it might just be the bases. I was using temporary bases ... Weaver Grand Slams ... until my Nightforce Base got here (backorder). They are cheap, so it would not be out of the realm of possibility that they would be off.

I have bore sighted a lot of guns. Never had one bore sight that did not hit paper at 100. Never had one this far off lasered at a wall 30 yards away either. Just used the bore sight a couple of weeks back on my friends 7 mag and it worked just fine, so I'm thinking its not that.

Starting close is a good option, but I'm wagering its those bases. Going to try to get a base from a different supplier overnighted.

Thanks folks. I'll post when I figure it out.

I had the same issue with the laser on mine. I just removed the bolt and eye sighted thru the bore at 25 yards and hit paper. There is a free printable bore sight target you can use as well.

http://www.about-shooting.com/Boresight_Targets.php

I had this same issue on a model 70. I mounted talley rings and bases and sighted my gun in and all was well at 100 yards. But when I mounted a kenton knob to my scope and went to the range I found out that I had maxed out my windage and that eliminated my vertical adjustment. With a fixed base you are s.o.l. to optically center your scope and take full advantage of the elevation adjustment range on your new scope. Though they get very little love, that is where Leopold rings and bases have their place. You can take your rifle with the mis-aligned base holes and optically center your scope with the windage screws. The only problem is Nightforce does'nt recommend the use of Leupold rings with their scopes. I use them on my Nightforce 10 power and hav'nt had an issue with them, but I only hunt with mine so its not that critcal.

I know this bit of information will not be helpful to you but, Holland Shooters Supply has a nice fix for this issue as well with an adjustable for windage picatinny rail but he only makes it available for Rem 700. Good luck addressing your problem. Shayne

Wow sorry to hear you are having issues with it. When I mounted the scope with the 2 pc quick release Leupolds, I had no issues. I did not use a laser to boresight, just started close. I don't remember having to mess with it much at all. You are correct that had I bought a new rifle with issues it would have been taken care of then, not held onto for 10 years to pass on to someone else. Definitely wouldn't go to one of my favorite sites to place a turd either. Rest assured that the rifle shoots well after you get the base/rings sorted out. heck put those quick release rings back on it!

I didn't figure you would bud ... don't worry about it.

Have a Nightforce 1 piece coming. I wager that will solve it. If not I'll use the Burris shim rings...there is quite a bit of move in those.