Sign in to follow this  
sidwynder505

The Perfect Plan

I first got familiar with this area last year on a coyote hunt and I saw this huge buck stand up out of his bed after hearing my first set of squealing from my electronic caller! So I made a mental note and when time for putting in for deer came around, I put in for that unit! Low and behold, I drew the tag! After a couple of scouting trips and watching this big buck grow in the velvet, I figured this was going to be a cake walk. Well, as usual, I was wrong! The unit only had 75 tags in there and I didn't think I would see any hunters in this particular area, but as luck would have it, it seemed like all 75 hunters showed up in this area opening morning!! It seemed like every little vantage point was covered by hunters all but the knob that me and my cousin were sitting at, and sure enough we found that big buck and 6 other ones along with it running on the flats, like rabbits, a way from us!! I've got to be honest with you, it was disheartening! So we glassed the rest of the day and talked over the next morning's plan. My cousin Brian and I along with my wife, decided we would show up the next morning on the opposite side of the valley on top of a rocky bluff, next to the cut where the bucks ran through the morning before. With a slight breeze in our face and the sun to our back, we snuck up onto the bluff and started glassing before the sun started to come up. A while later, my cousin was glassing across a little valley to where we were the morning before and said 'he's got deer' and I asked him 'any horns' and he said "a nice wide 3x3 and 2-2x2s coming our way in a hurry! You better set up"! So right in front of me, there was this big table size rock that I laid my rifle on and asked my cousin for a range. He said "350 yards". So I put my gun turrets at 350 and he told me 'the buck's following the rear about 100 yards behind the other 2 smaller bucks'. As I was watching the big mesquite tree where my cousin told me the buck was going to pop out of, I held my cross hairs right to the left of it and waited for the buck to appear. When he stepped out from behind the tree, he paused for a moment and I pulled the trigger and he dropped in his tracks. After taking a bunch of pictures and field dressing the buck out, I loaded him on my back and headed for the jeep! Now I am use to hunting white tail and packing them out, big mule deer are a different story!! My back was killing me and I was cramping up bad, but I got him back to the jeep and here are a couple of pictures of my little adventure and one of my most memorable hunts and to a Perfect Plan!!

post-8810-0-93494300-1352080674_thumb.jpg

post-8810-0-49677900-1352080705_thumb.jpg

post-8810-0-04906100-1352080733_thumb.jpg

post-8810-0-32337200-1352080770_thumb.jpg

Great buck! Congratulations!!! Nice looking jeep too!

Good for you guys observing what happened the day before and using it to your advantage. What rifle and bullet combo did you use?

Good for you guys observing what happened the day before and using it to your advantage. What rifle and bullet combo did you use?

I used a custom made 30.06 from Shamely Arms he lives in Eager AZ,! its topped with a LeatherWood scope/Hi-luks with turrets that goes all the way to a 1000 yards! the bullets are Fed, prim, Vital- shock trophy bonded 165 grain! its a tack driver!! very heavy tho.! but will worth the carry!! :P ..thank you guys! lots of fun!!...my wife used the same rifle a week before on her hunt she took her whitetail at 584 yards with it!! and last year i took mt 85 inch boone an crockett with it also at 501 yards!!....i love the rifle!! very smoooooth! :D

Nice buck. Good to get it out of the way. My wife and I both drew tags this year and so far been skunked only seeing does. I am in a unit where I always see buck but it appears the heat is kicking my butt. Congrats again.