scoutpylot

Hornady Superformance Powder for .270 Win???

Has anoyone developed a load for the .270 win using this powder? I have two pounds of this stuff and I am beginning to wonder what cartredges I will actually be able to use it in. I am trying to create a load for using the 140gr Hornady SST bullet. Any info would be appreciated.

I shoot 130 gr sst in my .270 I didn't even look at that powder because Hornandys relaod book didnt say that it was one of the best powders it did say IMR 4831 was and that is what I used

To develop a load one can use the relative burn rate chart on the Hodgdon web site. Superformance is listed as slower burning than H4831. I have started out with Superformance loads that are 2 grains less than those listed for H4831 and looked for overpressure signs such as flat primers, trouble extracting the case or expansion of the case head. I also have a chronograph which helps. In the 330 Dakota for a 225 grain TTSX bullet, Hodgdon lists 84 grains of H4831. I used 82 grains of Superformance and got 3006 fps with no pressure signs at all. Be sure to follow case length and overall length recommendations for the cartridge/bullet combination.

Prior to attempting the above, I studied the available load data from various sources to be sure that powders listed as faster burning than H4831, as expected, used smaller charges than H4831, and vice versa for slower burning powders. This tells me that the burn rate chart accurately predicts the relative behavior of the powders in the cartridge in question. For the .270, today I tested 130 grain TSX bullet in once fired full length sized Federal brass using 58 gr of Superformance and Federal 215M primers. There was no head expansion, and primer flattening was no different than seen on factory ammo, and there was no problem with extraction. Have not chronographed this load yet. Too much wind today. All my load development for this powder is in modern bolt action rifles.

Although this experimenting is fun, one does it at his/her own risk. If one wants to try this, be sure to have reliable published load data for the cartridge in question and check all the numbers yourself. Do not trust my numbers. Remember that in hot weather chamber pressures will likely be higher than in cold weather. The temp today was 40 degrees F. I would not recommend ever exceeding the listed H4831 charge.

/>To develop a load one can use the relative burn rate chart on the Hodgdon web site. Superformance is listed as slower burning than H4831. I have started out with Superformance loads that are 2 grains less than those listed for H4831 and looked for overpressure signs such as flat primers, trouble extracting the case or expansion of the case head. I also have a chronograph which helps. In the 330 Dakota for a 225 grain TTSX bullet, Hodgdon lists 84 grains of H4831. I used 82 grains of Superformance and got 3006 fps with no pressure signs at all. Be sure to follow case length and overall length recommendations for the cartridge/bullet combination.

Prior to attempting the above, I studied the available load data from various sources to be sure that powders listed as faster burning than H4831, as expected, used smaller charges than H4831, and vice versa for slower burning powders. This tells me that the burn rate chart accurately predicts the relative behavior of the powders in the cartridge in question. For the .270, today I tested 130 grain TSX bullet in once fired full length sized Federal brass using 58 gr of Superformance and Federal 215M primers. There was no head expansion, and primer flattening was no different than seen on factory ammo, and there was no problem with extraction. Have not chronographed this load yet. Too much wind today. All my load development for this powder is in modern bolt action rifles.

Although this experimenting is fun, one does it at his/her own risk. If one wants to try this, be sure to have reliable published load data for the cartridge in question and check all the numbers yourself. Do not trust my numbers. Remember that in hot weather chamber pressures will likely be higher than in cold weather. The temp today was 40 degrees F. I would not recommend ever exceeding the listed H4831 charge.

/>To develop a load one can use the relative burn rate chart on the Hodgdon web site. Superformance is listed as slower burning than H4831. I have started out with Superformance loads that are 2 grains less than those listed for H4831 and looked for overpressure signs such as flat primers, trouble extracting the case or expansion of the case head. I also have a chronograph which helps. In the 330 Dakota for a 225 grain TTSX bullet, Hodgdon lists 84 grains of H4831. I used 82 grains of Superformance and got 3006 fps with no pressure signs at all. Be sure to follow case length and overall length recommendations for the cartridge/bullet combination.

Chronograph Superformance load. Used 59gr , 215m primers,.270 Win new unfired brass in Win model.70 push feed with 22 in barrel, and got 3150 fps from a Barnes Triple Shock 130 gr bullet. No pressure signs or case head expansion. Ambient temp 74 degrees F. Case OAL was 3.202 in.

Rl 22 is an excellent powder but it is a coarse stick powder that works well for lead bullets which are shorter than the Barnes bullets of the same weight. The slow burning spherical powders pack more densely, so the longer bullets do not compress the powder as much at larger powder charges.

I tried more loads using Hodgdon Superformance powder for .270 Win. in a Mod 70 22in. barrel rifle. Bullet used was Barnes 140 gr Triple Shock in Federal once fired brass, full length sized and trimmed to length published in Hornady manual. Primer used was 215M, powder charge 58gr of Superformance, and COL was 3.203 in. Chronograph used was Oehler three screen. Muzzle velocity averaged 3058 fps. Case head expansion was compared to Federal factory 140 grain load and in both instances increased by 0.001 in. The factory load averaged 2721 fps muzzle velocity. Extraction and primer flattening did not differ between factory and the reloads. Ambient temp was 45 degrees F.

Bottom line, Superformance achieves superb velocities in the .270 Win that are very close to those seen in .270 WSM Barnes Vortex ammo.

Should anyone decide to try this powder do it only in cartridges for which there is published data using H4831, and do not exceed the weight quoted for H4831. In fact start with charges that are 5-10% lower and watch for pressure signs.

• Like 1

Hmmm can anyone pick the engineer out of this group? Good info thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

I tried more loads using Hodgdon Superformance powder for .270 Win. in a Mod 70 22in. barrel rifle. Bullet used was Barnes 140 gr Triple Shock in Federal once fired brass, full length sized and trimmed to length published in Hornady manual. Primer used was 215M, powder charge 58gr of Superformance, and COL was 3.203 in. Chronograph used was Oehler three screen. Muzzle velocity averaged 3058 fps. Case head expansion was compared to Federal factory 140 grain load and in both instances increased by 0.001 in. The factory load averaged 2721 fps muzzle velocity. Extraction and primer flattening did not differ between factory and the reloads. Ambient temp was 45 degrees F.

Bottom line, Superformance achieves superb velocities in the .270 Win that are very close to those seen in .270 WSM Barnes Vortex ammo.

Should anyone decide to try this powder do it only in cartridges for which there is published data using H4831, and do not exceed the weight quoted for H4831. In fact start with charges that are 5-10% lower and watch for pressure signs.

Did those loads actually group well?