Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Are NAP Bloodrunner heads any good? - Here are my test results

This is a follow up to my previous post (similar title).

I took "Redman's" advice and tested the BH on a grapefruit.

First, I shot a paper plate attached to my BH target. This gave clear evidence how much it opened on impact.

Then I shot the grapefruit. This gave clear evidence how much it opened at impact and exit.

Paper plate: the entrance cut shows the BH was open about 1/4"

post-2983-0-32370900-1354073265_thumb.jpg

Grapefruit - entrance: the entrance cut shows the BH was open about 1/4" (like the paper plate)

post-2983-0-51666100-1354073445_thumb.jpg

post-2983-0-01720500-1354073480_thumb.jpg

Grapefruit - exit: The exit cut shows the BH was completely open upon exit

post-2983-0-96613400-1354073648_thumb.jpg

post-2983-0-36137900-1354073676_thumb.jpg

So it appears a decent amount of cutting trauma will be done inside the animal, but must exit to give a good blood trail.

I wonder how much it will remain open through soft tissue, like lungs?

It took about 3 lbs of force to hold the blades completely open. I pushed the BH against a small food scale...not very scientific, but I think pretty accurate.

I'm not sure I like that this BH is spring loaded in the closed position and can close/partially close on it's own. I think I prefer a BH that locks open on impact, and stays open.

Any comments/feedback?

Great test, I would think due to the speed and force of the arrow hitting an animal it would stay open all the way through, unless it hit bone and the arrow was stopped. Like any head, shot placement is the key. With an exit wound of 2.5 inches.... I think that would leave a nice blood trail.

I went to Walmart last week and picked up a pack for $22, I was bummed all there was one. I shoot the three blade.

Good luck...I have to start shooting my bow... I have a Dec rifle hunt so archery has been on the back burner, but I am going to start this week to great ready for Jan.

did you use the food scale at a grocery store? ha

The great thing about this head is that even if it does not function correctly you will get some cutting done, unlike some other mechanicals out there. Every broadhead has it pros and cons, and this one has it's pro where it still cuts if it malfuctions and it's con is that it takes about 3lb of force to keep blade open.

• Like 1

did you use the food scale at a grocery store? ha

The great thing about this head is that even if it does not function correctly you will get some cutting done, unlike some other mechanicals out there. Every broadhead has it pros and cons, and this one has it's pro where it still cuts if it malfuctions and it's con is that it takes about 3lb of force to keep blade open.

Yeah, I like that it has a built in safeguard against failure. I shoot muzzy 100's but I'm going to get the Gravediggers a go round in January. Just make sure you put it in the boiler room, because only Rambo's exploding broad heads will take down something hit in the lower hind leg, lol.

If you like mechanicals give the new Nap Killzone a try. I love mechanicals just like I love my mechanical compound bow. I test a lot of mechanical heads and with all the testing I’ve done I feel the Killzone is 100 percent fail safe and it packs a 2 inch cut on entrance and exit. I like HUGE holes! The blades lock open on impact and still reverses to keep it as a non barbed head, which is illegal in some states. It’s a very tough head and sharp out of the package. It does not have an o-ring or spring to retain the blades but a very ingenious locking feature that is a detent. Great engineering design IMO, much better than the Rage ever thought of being. Currently they only make the 100 grain. I like 125 grain heads so I am hoping they will be manufacturing those soon. Although the blood runner might be a decent head I disagree that it will stay open through lung tissue and it technically may be considered a barbed head. Also due to its inherent design at the feral they do not get the penetration that my testing against other heads do. Just my 02.

GBA

Nap Killzone entrance quartering away shot on a 250 plus pound buck.

post-8760-0-41705300-1354191705_thumb.jpg

Exit hole. Deer traveled 30 yards from the shot and sprayed bubbly blood all over everything before piling up.

post-8760-0-37342000-1354191852_thumb.jpg

GotBowAZ,

Can't argue with those results. I'll have to check them out. Have you tested the Grave Digger? Looks like a good design and 4-way cutting. Gets good reviews so far.

I did test them and the grave digger is a good head with the exception of quartering away shots, but not to say all or most all quartering away shots. Big ole hole too but If it catches the blade tip on a rib it will have a tendency to kick out due to the angle. Think of it as a jackknifing trait. There isn’t enough of the head penetrating before the expansion blade deploys at angle shots causing the inside blade to kick out. But keep in mind it will have to hit just right, or in this case, just wrong. I would say that might only happen 1 out of 20 shots depending on the rotation of the arrow when and where the front tip of the expansion blade hits. The only other thing I didn’t like is I had drift/planeing at 50 yards and with cross winds. It was dead on with no wind at all yardages.

Another reason I like mechanical is because in a cross wind they are more forgiving. In this case with the Grave digger there is simply more blade out there paddling the air. I have steered clear of almost all forward deploy or jackknifing deploying blade type heads. I will only shoot rearward deploying heads now with at least an inch of tip penetration prior to the expansion blade entry. This will keep your arrow going straight into its direct path and won’t allow kick out. Years ago I shot a similar head as the grave digger except it was a 3 blade both on the fixed head and the expansion blades. I never seen an arrow act like it did when I hit a deer perfectly broadside at ground level. It went in where I aimed right behind the shoulder then went darn near a 90 degree angel and out the bottom of his chest. Killed him on the spot but wow what a weird flight. Turned out one expansion blade caught enough rib that is forced the arrow in a different direction/path. The Schwacker would be the only head I would use that is a jack knifing style head as it open inside the cavity and stays on track but IMO the entrance hole is too darn small. Quartering away shot into an elk far shoulder and your blood trail would be zilch. The hole you seen in my pic on the entry is nearly 4 inches wide due to the angle and stretch of hide with only a 2 inch expansion but it took out 2 ribs on both sides. Now those are holes I can live with! These are simply my opinions from my own observations and tests but to me blood trails are where it’s at so IMO the bigger the animal the bigger I want those holes.

GBA

GotBowAZ,

Thanks for all the info. I think I will try them. Which Killzone BH are you shooting? The "cut on contact" or the "trophy tip"? Have you tested both?

Will they shoot through the window netting of a ground blind without deploying? I don't have much experience with ground blinds so I don't know how necessary it is to have the netting up....maybe a non-issue.

Brad

I found this review video on several BH's. The Killzone didn't fare well. Thoughts?

I use the cut on contact Killzones but that’s all just personal preference. I couldn’t see any different in penetration between the cut on contact or the trophy tip.

I haven’t seen this video and cant get Youtube so I will have to look at it at home. I will assume it is a penetration test and it appears to be up against fixed blade heads. My thoughts are this. There is no comparison to penetration between a fixed head and a mechanical of any kind. Little cut surface fixed blades will outperform mechanical that all day long when it comes to penetration However what I don’t know is what weight/grain arrow this test has. I shoot a 455 grain minimum with mechanical heads as mechanical s need the extra momentum to push those wide heads through.

Viper, I forgot to answer you about the screen on ground blinds. I have never shot threw a screen before with any type of head, I have no experiences there. I have sat in my brothers ground blinds and had deer with in 5 yards walk past me and didn't get seen. My brother consistently kills turkeys out of his ground blind and he removed the screens.They have the best eyes out there and still don't catch him inside the blind so Im really not sure why anyone would use them and possibly make their arrow flight change even if they used a field point. Just my 02.

GBA

• Like 1

Gotbowaz, I agree with what your saying about the screen. If your background is black shouldn't have a problem. We shot 3 birds out of a blind a few years ago at 15-20 yards and not a single bird busted us while drawing back.

Gotbowaz, I agree with what your saying about the screen. If your background is black shouldn't have a problem. We shot 3 birds out of a blind a few years ago at 15-20 yards and not a single bird busted us while drawing back.

That's reasurring. I have not hunted from a ground blind yet, but plan to. I ordered the Killzones. I am anxious to try them out.

Thanks for all the inputs.

I shoot the Killzone trophy tip and it's a beast! Put my January Javelina on the ground when it hit! 36 yards uphill slightly and hit a little forward. Got all the major vessels between the upper shoulder and neck and cut the spine clean through. Dropped like a bag of hammers.