sidwynder505

My Unit # 31 & 32 "SHEEP"!

Well after all the time being on the phone! studying maps!....on the phone with Game & Fish !! who by the way was the most helpful!!...Kudos to the wild life mangers in the Game & Fish dept, for giving all the information i needed to harvest my "TROPHY OF A LIFE TIME"!..on my self guided hunt! all the work payed off!!!....It was more then i could have ever hope for! :D With my family and closest freinds who help me on my quest!! and to the people who offered info, or suggestions!!! THANK YOU ALL!!! (note) : my buddy who packed out my ram off the mountain was with me from the start!!! an to the end!!! he packed all the way off the mountain with out resting!! thank you my brother!! and my wife was with me all the way!!! i had fun pulling all the cactus out of her in places where we wont discuss!!...king of like "checking for ticks"! lol! an the other to bottom pictures of my ram when he was alive i got from the sheep survey from game & Fish!!

post-8810-0-19025400-1354673816_thumb.jpg

post-8810-0-07950300-1354673881_thumb.jpg

post-8810-0-45015700-1354674156_thumb.jpg

post-8810-0-36713100-1354674272_thumb.jpg

post-8810-0-64782100-1354674590_thumb.jpg

post-8810-0-90749600-1354674750_thumb.jpg

post-8810-0-66396600-1354675246.jpg

• Like 2

Way to go!

You sound pumped!!

Great ram and way to get it done DIY!

Hey Chef, any suggestions how I should cook this mutton? I have never eaten it before, but I don't want my first taste of it to be a disappointment. And I know, this is right up your alley!!.....HELP, a recipe would really be appreciated!!.....Thanks!!!

Hey Chef, any suggestions how I should cook this mutton? I have never eaten it before, but I don't want my first taste of it to be a disappointment. And I know, this is right up your alley!!.....HELP, a recipe would really be appreciated!!.....Thanks!!!

Smitty,

Your ram is going to have a strong gamey flavor and be pretty tough.

The first thing I would try is a good pit BBQ. I've had old goat in Mexico cooked this

way and it was delicious. The low and long cooking temperatures allow

the meat to really get broken down and become tender, while the smoke caters

well to tackling the gaminess of the meat.

Now, I don't have any good recipes as every time I've had it, it's been done by someone else.

There are people that really enjoy it though and I'm sure would be happy to give it a shot for you.

What part of the state do you live in?

Outstanding job on the dyi ram. Looks like you ended up using your rifle instead your bow. I dont think your buddy could have stopped packing that brute out whole. Lol

Sounds like the wife had a run in with some cactus, not fun.

Your friend is a beast..... I can't believe he carried it out whole. Congrats on a nice Ram!!!!

I was thinking the same thing! I cut mine in two and carried each half about a mile and that was really no fun but never dreamed of trying to carry the entire critter.

Crockpot or smoker would be my vote as they are VERY lean and you can screw up the meat pretty easy. Jerky was great my kids devoured it and sausage is good since they mix it with fat as well.

Great Ram........DIY makes it super sweet! +2 on your friend is a beast carrying it out! Huge congrats on your trophy of a lifetime!

Congratulations on getting a great Ram. Before you go doing anything with the meat, fire up the grill, and cook up a piece of backstrap. Do not overcook it. Just black pepper and a little garlic powder or better yet granulated. You're in for a major surprise! It tastes great and nothing like sheep! P.S. It should still be a little pink in the middle.

EBB

Outstanding job on the dyi ram. Looks like you ended up using your rifle instead your bow. I dont think your buddy could have stopped packing that brute out whole. Lol

Sounds like the wife had a run in with some cactus, not fun.

Yeah i chose my rifle! i told myself if i cant sneek up on him with a close bow shot id use my rifle!! the country was really rough and the sheep new i was already in the canyon!! id take onr step forward an slide three back! cusing small rock slides!! i was "PROABLY THE QUIET ONE"! lol! soooo once in a life time!! you know!! no regrets! ^_^

Congratulations on getting a great Ram. Before you go doing anything with the meat, fire up the grill, and cook up a piece of backstrap. Do not overcook it. Just black pepper and a little garlic powder or better yet granulated. You're in for a major surprise! It tastes great and nothing like sheep! P.S. It should still be a little pink in the middle.

EBB

YUM!...of corse i'd have to try it first to see if my family would like it! :P

Great Ram........DIY makes it super sweet! +2 on your friend is a beast carrying it out! Huge congrats on your trophy of a lifetime!

Thank you trophyhnter!