Sign in to follow this  
Hunter4Life09

300 wsm

It's a .308 projectile. So it's the same projectile as any other 30 caliber. No way it's too much.

Anything bonded that isn't an explosive type. Partion, accubond, Barnes, etc will do less damage to meat.

I was shooting handloads with 150 AccuBonds in mine before I traded it off. I just ordered a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in .300 WSM Saturday. I will be starting with the same loads in it. I may also try some 140 TTSXs to see how they shoot.

I have been using a 300 WSM for about 8 years, its not too much, I had to tame it with a muzzle break.

My buddy has one also, he hand loads, 165 Accubonds get my stock gun shooting <1 inch groups at 100 yds.... my son has shot three cow elk with it, all 3 have folded like a cheap card table.

In full disclosure I am thinking of getting a 6.5 caliber...

No, It's not too big. I shoot the 168 TTSX out of my 300 wm, so does my lil bro. My hunting buddies use 165 accubonds out of their 300 shorties.

What about powder is there a certain brand or anything that you all use. Sorry for the all the questions i just landed a weatherby 300wsm with a muzzlebreak for $400 an i topped it with the vortex viper 6.5x20x50 pretty excited to get some loads going

Ramshot hunter has worked well for me in the short mags.

The 300 WSM does it's best with Win 760 ball powder . The problem with any of the stick powders like 4831SC or RL-19 is that you can't get enough powder in the case for any added velocity . I did a lot load work for a freind about a year ago on the 300 WSM . The load work included the use a chronograph , and a computer ballistics program . The main problem with the 300WSM is the short neck and having to deal with a short action magazine length . Usually a 165-180g bullet is well below the neck/shoulder junction , enfringing on what little powder room there is . Seating bullets out further out of a long action or single loading is best for the 300 WSM .

300WSM is definitely not too much for coues. I've taken three with mine and there has been minimal meat lost. I even use a 180gr bullet. Most important thing was all three dropped where they stood. Although I don't know him as "L Cazador", I believe the comment above was referring to work he did on my 300WSM. The Win760 load he came up with has produced an extremely consistent velocity. 64.6 grains of Win760, 180gr Nosler Accubond, Fed215 primers with FP cases. Averaging 2,985fps with a very small deviation. For what it's worth, I chose this rifle as my "all purpose" rifle. Although I can't it shoot worth a crap, not a single animal I've shot with it has taken a single step. From elk to javelina, I've had almost no issues with meat loss with my 300WSM using Accubonds.