huntswnm

NM Wilderness Coues

I know this is a little late, but figured I would post a couple of pictures of my muzzleloader Coues from this year. Thought I had found an area that would prouduce good deer with little hunting pressure, and as it turned out it sure did produce good deer, but with tons of hunting pressure. This buck was the 4th Coues buck taken out of a relatively small area over 1 mile into the Gila Wilderness. I had been watching some spots with my trail camera from February till September and I know that the 2 biggest bucks (that I had gotten on cam) in there were killed during the muzzleloader hunt, mine being one of them. I know the other one was as well because I helped the gentlemen who shot him haul him back to the truck. It was very dry so hunting around water sources was key. By the 3rd day of the hunt I had already passed on some smaller Coues bucks and a couple of decent muleys when this guy appeared. I did not know which buck he was as I could not get a good look at his antlers through the trees. I knew however that he was very heavy and relatively wide. 1 shot with the T/C ProHunter and he was down. This is my 3rd Coues, 1st with a muzzleloader. My other 2 have been with archery, 1 with compound and 1 with recurve. I rough scored him at around 98", but waiting the 60 days to get an official score.

post-660-0-89179900-1355758121_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-11849700-1355758173_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-40028700-1355758190_thumb.jpg

post-660-0-63834300-1355758581_thumb.jpg

This is a trail cam picture of my buck with last years antlers. It was taken in March. As you can see his eye gaurds were quite a bit longer on last years set. Not sure if it was the dry year we had, or if he was on the down-hill side of his growth.

post-660-0-60434400-1355758301_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Jeff

• Like 1

Way nice!

Very nice buck! Tough hunting this year, congratulations!

very cool for the last few years I have been hunting MD in NM with my muzzleloader, I think I am going to WT next year

i think it has to do with the weather ...rainfall some areas had good antler growth some crappy,but regardless he is a neat buck i am a sucker for eyeguards too but we cant have all the bells and whistles it seems..unless you spend tons of money ...but he is a heck of a buck,congrats.i see you are a firefighter, I am a flight medic for native air/omni flight maybe we will meet someday..take care.

i think it has to do with the weather ...rainfall some areas had good antler growth some crappy,but regardless he is a neat buck i am a sucker for eyeguards too but we cant have all the bells and whistles it seems..unless you spend tons of money ...but he is a heck of a buck,congrats.i see you are a firefighter, I am a flight medic for native air/omni flight maybe we will meet someday..take care.

Nice brother !!! Local 4125 GVFD