hunterdude

String stretching?

I have been shooting my bow almost daily for the past couple of weeks and it seems to progressively hit lower. I have already moved the sight down twice to compensate for the drop in elevation. I am almost thinking that maybe my string might be stretching. My sight is tight and eveything else is staying tight. Any thought or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks :P

A new bow (well, the new string) will need to be resighted in after it is shot for some time. Your string is just doing like it's supose to do IMO. If I were in your position, I would keep shooting and adjusting until it quit which I don't think it should take very long for everything to settle down. Wait until some of the other more advanced members post, to be sure. :P

Has your peep moved and/or has you knocking loop turned? If your knocking loop has turned then your string has stretched (which is normal to an extent). A peep moving up will also cause low shooting.

Most new bows have poor strings. You should expect string stretch to slow down after a few hundred shots or, you can purchase a new string like Winners Choice or Zebra and not expect string stretch, but that also runs $50-70.

Make sure your peep is not moving and give it a few more shots before replacing a string.... what brand is your bow? A stretched string can affect your shooting, cams become miss timed, knocking point changes, etc.

Redman2002

if your string is new, it will stretch. you should check your nock again it may have also moved. if you bought this bow new you can take it back to the dealer and have them tune it again.

Hey check this out. I decided to get the chronograph out today and compare the speed. In June I was shooting pretty consistantly at 268-273, I checked it today and I'm only shooting 250 -255. I think that says a little bit about what is going on. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it sound like the string? ;)

no matter what string you buy it will stretch for a while, even the ones that say they dont stretch, they will. might also make sure your limbs are still tightened to where they were when you started. friend of mine had trouble with his limbs staying at the right poundage. just dont buy a new string or you will be right back where you started and out 5o bucks.

Hey check this out. I decided to get the chronograph out today and compare the speed. In June I was shooting pretty consistantly at 268-273, I checked it today and I'm only shooting 250 -255. I think that says a little bit about what is going on. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it sound like the string? ;)

If you have checked your peep and nock point It sounds like you have string or cable creep not stretch. If it is creep you may need new strings and cables. I suggest Winners Choice or Vapor Trail. They have very little stretch and no creep. Have you checked your draw length and poundage. Longer cables will drop poundage and longer string will make your draw longer. If you have string stretch that means it will stretch and stop then you can twist the string and it should stay. If you have creep witch it sounds like you do it will not stop. Your loss of speed my be from the cables changing.Also your nock point will change when your string does. Sorry Iam jumping around.

If you have checked your peep and nock point It sounds like you have string or cable creep not stretch. If it is creep you may need new strings and cables. I suggest Winners Choice or Vapor Trail. They have very little stretch and no creep. Have you checked your draw length and poundage. Longer cables will drop poundage and longer string will make your draw longer. If you have string stretch that means it will stretch and stop then you can twist the string and it should stay. If you have creep witch it sounds like you do it will not stop. Your loss of speed my be from the cables changing.Also your nock point will change when your string does. Sorry Iam jumping around.

Alright, I think I may have figured out how to post on here. Sorry about the blank.

After checking to assure that no other parts have moved on your bow, think about a new string and cable. I can point you to a very good set. I would go with R.W. custom strings. E-mail me for the phone number as I don't know if I'm allowed to put it on here.

Eddie

I am with Bownut on the Winners Choice strings. Replaced the Zebra Twist on my Mathews with a Winners Choice two years ago, and have not experienced any problem. The peep (using no tubing) hardly rotates, unlike the original zebra string.

Doug~RR

It doesn't sound like your problem is string stretch, usually stretch doesn't happen that quickly where you need to resight in that offen. When your string stretches your draw length will increase, your poundage will increase, and you will gain fps. My best guess would be that your rest, peep, or form is changing.

Hey got my bow fixed today at Archery Headquarters. Zach hooked me up, if you know who he is I was very pleased with his promptness and courtesy to help me out and give me very fast service. I will defiantly be going back with service like that. Zach if you are on here Thanks again for your help! :huh:

Well what was wrong with it? What did they need to do to it. :D You can't just come on here and say its fixed. :D

Negative jamaro, my groups stayed tight. The cable was stretching and causing it to slow down. I went ahead and had them replace the cable and string and it is fine now.

Your new string and cables will stretch as well. Next time , instead of buying new...if they are still in good shape...ask the shop about adding a few twists to your cables and strings until they are the original (correct) lenght. Expect stretch around the 200-300 shot mark. If your bow sits in your car in the sun expect stretch instantly.

It will usually only stretch a certain amount. Once this has occured and the twists have been added, it does not usually stretch again.

Note: twisting cables will change your pounds, twisting the string will change your draw lght. If you have a peep with tubing no problems, without tubing could cause rotation. A good proshop can retune your bow and not add the cost of a new string, if it is not needed. If you do buy new, WinnersChoice is a great product