standman

2013 Archery Javelina

"Could they be any farther away." That is what I told myself when I glassed up a group of 13 pigs at 8:40 this morning. There was no way I was going to get them from where I was at as there was no way off the bluff. So I had to load up and circle way around below them to even have a chance.

When I got down below them and looked in the direction I was going to have to go, again I asked myself "Could they be any farther away and do I really want to do this." As soon as I finished saying that to myself, I was loaded up and off I went.

There was a knob about half way there that I decided to get on top of to see if I could relocate the herd. I decided that if I couldn't find them then I would go no further. I set up on the knob with my tripod and 15s and was glad to see that I could at least see the ridge that they were supposed to on. It is now 10 am and they were not where I last saw them. So a little more glassing, and there they were, and wouldn't you know it they moved about 3/4 of a mile more up the ridge away from me. The names that raced through my mind that I was calling these pigs as I looked up where they were at. So I packed up my stuff and headed towards them.

I got to where I thought I was below them, shed my pack and some clothes and got my binos out to relocate them. They were still there straight above me at the top of the ridge. I eased up a finger with the wind right, out of sight of the herd while keeping an eye on the top of a saguaro that they were by for reference. When I got even with the saguaro I eased over the finger seeing the pigs right where I left them and I was on the same level as they were.

I start making my way toward them, when they started feeding right to me. I held my ground when a nice big pig stepped out at 15 yards. I drew and released and my arrow hit home. The pig went about 10 yards and piled up.

After I reached my trophy, I looked back in the direction where the truck was and said " Could the truck be any further away. :)" It was now 11 am.

I brought the pig down to my pack and took some pics, got my pig strap tied on and headed out. I reached the truck at 1pm and told myseft "Never again will I go after a pig that far away." :) Laughing to myself as I said knowing full well I would.

So here he is. My pig.

Brian

post-102-0-03103700-1357959054_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-66520600-1357959161_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet!

Dumb question: What's your "pig strap?"

It's a rifle sling with parachute cord on each end. I tie a leg to each tail of the cord and then carry him like a purse.

Congratulations Brian! You are on a roll so far this year. I was in to pigs all day today but I can't get Murphy's Law out of my back pocket. Thanks for sharing.

TJ

Thats way too funny. Thats almost exactly how my pig hunt went last sunday. Sounds like the only difference was the time of day.

Congrats,

Way to get it done! Working hard makes it a little more worth it! Great story to tell around the fire!

Right On!!