Sign in to follow this  
out2hunt

Resident 9 points

Can anyone tell me the minimum amount of points for early 9 or 10 rifle bull? I have 9 points this year and am wondering how long until the 20% pool?

last year you need 18 points to get into the 20% pass for early rifle bull in 9 or 10.

for 9 there was only 5 tags available in the 20% pass. 1 person drew with 21 pts. 1 with 20, 2 with 19 and 1 with 18. there were 35 people with 18 points that applied and only 1 drew. that is a 3% draw odd.

for 10 there was 15 tags available in the 20% pass. 1 person drew with 20 pts. 6 with 19 and 8 with 18. there were 40 people with 18 points that applied and 8 drew for a 20% draw odd.

like Mathews stated above, still got a ways to go. that does not mean you can not win the hunting lottery and draw with your 9 points. last year there were 3 people that drew unit 10 early rifle hunts with ZERO points.

good luck!

• Like 1

last year you need 18 points to get into the 20% pass for early rifle bull in 9 or 10.

for 9 there was only 5 tags available in the 20% pass. 1 person drew with 21 pts. 1 with 20, 2 with 19 and 1 with 18. there were 35 people with 18 points that applied and only 1 drew. that is a 3% draw odd.

for 10 there was 15 tags available in the 20% pass. 1 person drew with 20 pts. 6 with 19 and 8 with 18. there were 40 people with 18 points that applied and 8 drew for a 20% draw odd.

like Mathews stated above, still got a ways to go. that does not mean you can not win the hunting lottery and draw with your 9 points. last year there were 3 people that drew unit 10 early rifle hunts with ZERO points.

good luck!

And there is the reason I find it a complete joke..

for 9 there was only 5 tags available in the 20% pass. 1 person drew with 21 pts.1 with 20, 2 with 19 and 1 with 18. there were 35 people with 18 points that applied and only 1 drew. that is a 3% draw odd.

good luck!

....waiting 19 years to go elk hunting!! Screw that!!!

There are fabulous elk hunts throughout the state every year.....not going to waste 19 years of my life! No thanks...every 2 or 3 years is fine with me! Learn the draw odds and go hunting! life is too short! :)

• Like 8

Thanks for the information Sun Devil. I would love to draw a hunt with the potential of a 370 plus bull after waiting this long. Early rifle seems to be the coveted tag. I have found sheds in 4b that make me wonder why I have not tried for that tag? Suggestions for application choices would be awesome. I hunt archery as well. Thank you guys n gals!

9 Residents points in AZ gets you these options for bull elk:

1) A single digit chance at an early rifle hunt

2) Any late rifle tag

3) Guaranteed draw of most the "moderate" archery hunts ie 5A, 4A, 6A (4B archery included)

4) Units like 7W, 8, and 1 are likely still 1-2 years out of reach

5) Units like 9 and 23 are still several years out of reach

That said in AZ, you can draw any tag on any given year, so you always have a chance. When I say tags are "out of reach" I mean that you still have x number of years before your reach the bonus pass and your probability of drawing multiplies significantly.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

Thank you for such helpful information Flatlander! Your knowledge has been shared with someone who truly appreciates your time. Many Blessings

Anyone thinking about applying for a tag in unit 10 better take the time to read Don Martin's post Proposed Access Agreement on the Boquillas Ranch.

TJ

2) Any late rifle tag

3) Guaranteed draw of most the "moderate" archery hunts ie 5A, 4A, 6A (4B archery included)

That said in AZ, you can draw any tag on any given year, so you always have a chance. When I say tags are "out of reach" I mean that you still have x number of years before your reach the bonus pass and your probability of drawing multiplies significantly.

1. 3106

2. 3003

3. 3015

4. 3027

5. 3011

What do you think.......should I drop the last two choices?

2) Any late rifle tag

1. 3106

2. 3003

3. 3015

4. 3027

5. 3011

What do you think.......should I drop the last two choices?

Those last three choices will be long gone.

They need to increase the bonus point pass to 40% or they will never see those number come down.

DCM

I agree, maybe even more. I find it absurd that someone with 15 points can loose a tag to someone with 2 points. If they would start letting tags go to the higher bonus point people I think the max number of points needed to draw a given tag would come down as higher bonus point people would get re-shuffled to the bottom of the list upon drawing their tag.

Agreed! I decided to put my marbles in the unit 9 muzzy hunt and 5a archery second choice. I wish everyone the luck of the hunting gods, may we all draw a decent tag!