Sign in to follow this  
Lucky Draw

Congrats to this 10 Year Old

FlatLander,

Again, I don't have specifics of this situation, but it's not relevant that this boy might wait his whole life to draw the tag. What about the guys that have waited their whole life? Also, I'm almost positive you are incorrect about Mom having to be a certain distance in the field. When the law originally came out, it was only your parents and they had to be within 300 yards of the shooter I believe. However, it is my understanding that know even grandparents can pass tags down and there is no restrictions on original tag holder even being there. I could be wrong, and I'm positive that G&F has done some tweeking to the wording of this law.

So lets play out a scenario....

Dad applies wife and both sets of grandparents to attempt to draw little Ricky a early bull tag, goat tag or sheep tag. None of these people hunt, they are just assisting Little Ricky's Father in attempting to get a tag or multiple quality tags for his son.

Another guy has 19 BPs and is holding out for a Unit 9 early rifle or has 20 BPs for Antelope, maybe he has max points for sheep and has applied since before the bonus point rule was enacted. So you honestly think it's a good idea to have this system in place so G&F can rake in some extra revenue and has not a care in the world how many BPs it takes to draw these quality hunts? I get what your saying Mom's odds are slim to draw the sheep tag, but people are putting in for everything in hopes of drawing any quality tag.

I do like the idea of original tag holder having to be on the hunt, but I don't think that rule is in place any longer. Also I like the idea of passing "non-trophy hunts" to minors. A kid doesn't care if it's a deer hunt or sheep hunt. Being in the outdoors with family is what it's all about RIGHT?

Pretty sure I saw that ram at a local taxis office when I dropped off my wt...awesome ram.

Whether the kid used the tag, or mom took the tag, does it really matter? On any ram hunt, there's gonna be the hunter, and probably three of his family or friends. If someone that has been putting in for 20 years decides to sacrifice their shot so their kid can, more power to them. The entire family would have been out there hunting together anyways, and as long as they aren't jumping ahead of others in line, it hasn't impacted anyone's chances of drawing next year. Strongly agree with having the person that drew the tag being present though, otherwise I'm putting my 95 yr grandma in and having her pass the tag to my kid. That wouldn't be fair cause now u have a non hunter taking the spot of a hunter that is more deserving.

FlatLander,

Again, I don't have specifics of this situation, but it's not relevant that this boy might wait his whole life to draw the tag. What about the guys that have waited their whole life? Also, I'm almost positive you are incorrect about Mom having to be a certain distance in the field. When the law originally came out, it was only your parents and they had to be within 300 yards of the shooter I believe. However, it is my understanding that know even grandparents can pass tags down and there is no restrictions on original tag holder even being there. I could be wrong, and I'm positive that G&F has done some tweeking to the wording of this law.

I do like the idea of original tag holder having to be on the hunt, but I don't think that rule is in place any longer. Also I like the idea of passing "non-trophy hunts" to minors. A kid doesn't care if it's a deer hunt or sheep hunt. Being in the outdoors with family is what it's all about RIGHT?

From the 2013 Elk Regs:

A parent, grandparent or legal guardian holding a big game tag may allow the use of that tag by their minor child or minor grandchild pursuant to the following requirements:
• The minor child is 10 to 17 years old on the date of transfer;
• The minor child has a valid hunting or combination license on the date of transfer;
• A minor child less than 14 years old has satisfactorily completed a Department-approved hunter education course by the beginning date of the hunt;
• The grandparent, parent or the child’s guardian must accompany the child in the field, and must be within 50 yards of the child when the animal is taken.
So if 95 yr old grandma passes the tag, 95 yr old grandma does the hiking. Getting kids into hunting is a good thing, sorry if it gets in the way of you and your coveted tag. Big picture, we need to recruit future generations. Kuddos to parents who are willing to apply for years just to pass the tag to their kid and then go bust their butts so their kid can have a good hunt. And my "not relevant" point about the kid drawing a tag is that without a lot of luck, or very selfless parents / grandparents a 10 year old today has no reasonable expectation of being able to draw the tag, ever. Their only hope is to be selected in the random pass of the draw. With odds less than 1% in 65 years of applying the kid really still only has less than a 65% chance of drawing the tag EVER.
What's next people protesting Hunt of a Lifetime?

That's a much better deal, I agree with the way it is currently written. Thank you for clarifying that and I apologize I made assumptions about the rule with out doing my own research.

Now I need to find out if I was ever correct for my own satisfaction. I hate being a dumbass, I normally try and avoid it.

Oh and just for clarification, I have participated in assisting a child on the "Hunt of a lifetime" program and also have volunteered and paid for %100 of a young mans hunt for coues last year, someone I had never even met. Including taking him to the range twice, providing all gear and food and hauling my trailer down for 3 days. I may have been incorrect about the current wording of the law, but don't make me out to be some kind of anti-kid nazi. You don't even know me.

I don't believe it reads that the transferring tagholder must accompany the minor child, just the "grandparent, parent or child's legal guardian.." must be within 50yds.

I could be wrong but i think any legal guardian can accompany the child, not only the original tagholder.

The grandparent does not have to be present.. I know this because my wife's dad drew an elk tag and later on was asked to go on a church mission in Austria. This mission is more his calling ( no pun intended), I contacted G&F and they said he could sign the tag over to one of my sons as long as I was present on the hunt. Hope this clarifies the rule for all...

Whitey

• Like 1

Lionhunter, you are correct on his mother not being required to be present. His father was present with us to comply with the requirements of the transfer law. It was an amazing hunt for an amazing young man who was born with Type 1 diabetes. He did an awesome job and was able to harvest his ram on the morning of his 10th birthday! In case you have not seen the photos, here are a few posted with his permission.

post-2625-0-49027000-1374000057_thumb.jpg

post-2625-0-08822600-1374000099_thumb.jpg

The grandparent does not have to be present.. I know this because my wife's dad drew an elk tag and later on was asked to go on a church mission in Austria. This mission is more his calling ( no pun intended), I contacted G&F and they said he could sign the tag over to one of my sons as long as I was present on the hunt. Hope this clarifies the rule for all...

Whitey

Good to know whitey. I was also under the impression that any parent could be present and it did not have to the one who signed it over. I'm all for parents putting in and signing over there tags. Fair is fair and it's not against any rules. I know a lot of people doing it including myself, I consider it upping your odds and why would you not do it. Just my .02

I just came across these pics I took scouting for my hunt and recall this thread. Here are some pics of "George" when he was alive before the 2010 hunt. That's the name the mine caretaker gave to his "pet" ram. I shot these photos at 30 yards or so. I believe this is the ram the young man harvested. Maybe his guide might see this and share with the young man.

post-2759-0-62353700-1389396758_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-06330100-1389396764_thumb.jpgpost-2759-0-36429300-1389396769_thumb.jpg

I just came across these pics I took scouting for my hunt and recall this thread. Here are some pics of "George" when he was alive before the 2010 hunt. That's the name the mine caretaker gave to his "pet" ram. I shot these photos at 30 yards or so. I believe this is the ram the young man harvested. Maybe his guide might see this and share with the young man.

attachicon.gifP1010187.JPGattachicon.gifP1010188.JPGattachicon.gifP1010192.JPG

all the sheep in the state are pretty much like pets.

• Like 1

I will share the photos with him, but I don't think it is the same ram. His ram has much more obvious age rings but the horn configuration is very similar. Great photos. Gotta love those sheep!!!!

Hey Rombo, I'm curious how this worked. By no means am I trying to take anything away from what this boy has done but I'm trying to understand the process. Awesome ram, btw!

1. If he shot the ram on his 10th bday, did he get the tag signed over to him THAT morning prior to stepping into the field?

The reason I ask is because I ran into a similar issue when applying my daughter for her first big game hunt (javelina).

She turns 10 on the 25th of January. I was hoping to get the jrs hunt (starts on the 24th) but the online system wouldn't even allow her to apply for a hunt unless she was of age on the day of or PRIOR to opening day.

My thoughts were we just wouldn't step into the field until the 25th to make it legal but that's not even possible. I also believe that a tag can't be signed over until a person IS 10+ yrs old.

Once again, if this all took place on the morning of the hunt, none of my questions matter. Just curious since I was pretty disappointed in my daughters' scenario.

Thanks