elkman

spotting scopes

I am in the market for a spotting scope. I was lookinf at the swar hd, and the leica 77 any body have input on which are best. Also has anyone bought anything from gr8fuldoug tha optics guy here. Thanks

my brother in law (buckhorn) just bought a spotting scope from the guy and loves it. said all went perfect, seems like a straight shooter, and has great prices too.

I've used the Swaro 80mm (non HD) some, and the Leica 77 a lot. I prefer the Leica personally. It just feels more comfortable to me. The optics in both are superb, of course.

I have had three easy and smooth purchases with Doug@CameraLand. He will be able to give you some good advice.

RR

Doug@cameraland helped me out and got me a great deal also.

in his most recent post, Doug lists a Nikon 20X-45X by 60 mm TF3 Tactical ED. Great scope. CB

Take a close look at the Nikon line before you buy a scope. I went through this last year when I was buying a new pair of binos. I had my mind set on Swaros, but finally decided to give the Nikon LX's a chance. When I did a comparison between the two, I noticed that the Nikons were a little brighter and felt better in my hand. I bought those instead of the Swaros. I also have the Swaro ATS 80 and like it alot. I wish I could have compared the two spotting scopes at the time of purchase. David

thank for the input on the camera land guy I am a little gun shy on buying over the internet after an ebay disaster on a leica. Also i will look at the nikons first. There aare alot more reasonably priced . thanks again. PS went to yesterday and seen two nice bears. we called in on and couildnt get a shot do to the thick brush, and glassed another at couple thousand yards at dark.. Going back out this weekend to try to tag one.

For spotting scopes, what does everyone prefer, straight or angled?

I've never used a spotter before, but am thinking of getting one.

I use an angled spotter. It's takes alittle getting used to but I think they are more versatile. I can use a shorter tripod and there is less neck strain, especially if you're glassing uphill.

I had alwaysed used straight but now that I have an angled, I would never go back. CB

An angled is easier if you are sitting put and keep the tripod low. There will be less neck strain and overall they are more comfortable to use, however, if you are planning to ever use this on a window mount than you would have to go with a straight as an angled is not useful in this practice.

Comparing Swarovski to Leica is like comparing Hagen Daz to Ben & Jerry's. They are both excellent (let's not leave the Zeiss out of this either as it too is in the same class of optics) what it comes down to is personal taste. Swarovski has a lifetime parts and labor warranty, Zeiss has a Lifetime transferable parts and labor warranty (the only transferable warranty in the industry), Leica has a lifetime no fault warranty.

If there is anything I can answer for you please feel free to contact me, whether you plan to buy from me or not.

Have a great day

I have a leica apo 77 angeled spotting scope and love it,it is a bit heavy for long packs in but has paid off every time I have used it.Hey doug I'm looking for a 20x60 zoom eye peice,Got one?