I know the hogs are doing unbelievable damage, in Texas particularly. I have questions about this type of hunting. Do they go back and gather up the dead hogs? How about the ones they hit with less than a killing shot? Are they left to a slow death or what? Just think we need to have respect for whatever animal we are pursuing...for our own benefit as well as the benefit of the animal! Maybe someone knows how this deal works and can answer my ??

I once saw this type of hunt on a hunting channel. They waypointed every killed hog and had a ground team go around to pick them up. But in some cases these hunts just let them lay. Which is an incredible waste. I know hogs can be destructive but this is not the sort of thing I would ever like to participate in,

not wild animals. feral animals. a pestilence on the land like mosquitoes, hantavirus carring deer mice or wharf rats. more similar to a mad dog than a diseased flea bitten prairie dog. the prairie dog is a wild animal.

napalm 'em. leave 'em for the birds....at least the ones i can't fit in the freezer for fajitas....

lee

ps govt animal control kills over 1500 feral dogs a year just here in navajo county. and people here are gonna tear up over feral hogs? hogs?????????????

• Like 3

Mixed feelings on this. Making sure they are dead is ethically responsible. Defintely see the "pestilence" point though. They are destroying both the natural habitat and also the agricultural habitat. I support getting rid of as many as possible, and I'd sure hunt them in a heartbeat. Oddly, they have not become more of an issue in Arizona. We have them, to be sure, but not like in other states. Not sure why that is, but I'm glad we don't.

I have seen, first hand, the damage these hogs can do. Huge financial burden to farmers and ranchers in some areas. I would also participate in hunting them. However, any living creature deserves respect, and should be dealt with in a humane fashion. Making a clean kill is only right. I have eaten feral hog, and found it to be delicious. Why waste all of that meat by leaving it to rot? Animals that are'nt suitable for human consumption could, at least, be used for dog food. Coyotes and wolves are very cruel killers. They will eat on prey that is still alive. Coyotes will feed on a calf that is being born while it is still being delivered by the mama. Hopefully most of us don't have coyote in us!

• Like 1

Don't want to be the naysayer but I believe this type of "hunting" to be completely ridiculous. This is exactly the kind of thing the anti-hunting groups drool over. If the ranchers/farmers were really serious about saving their land they would use large traps that capture entire herds. Then the pigs could be dispatched quickly and the meat either donated or whatever they wanted to do with it. These traps are probably as effective or better than helicopter hunting because you catch most of the group at once. I have personally seen how effective the traps are. If you don't like whats in the trap you can always let them go. It comes down to dollars, the ranchers both hate and love the feral hogs. It brings in extra dollars for the hunting leases, hence they often charge a few hundred bucks to shoot some. They are destructive, no arguement there, but "hunting" out of a helicopter?

If someone wants to pretend to be a helicopter door gunner flying the canyons looking for targets then join the military.

It just looks so bad to the non hunters out there, why give them ammo? Just my two cents.

I never comment on things like this that are sure to generate a wide variety of opinions but couldn't keep my fingers shut!

However, any living creature deserves respect, and should be dealt with in a humane fashion. Making a clean kill is only right.

My only complaint. Chasing any animal with a chopper and gun doesnt feel right to me. Just an my thought.

Guest akaspecials
Don't want to be the naysayer but I believe this type of "hunting" to be completely ridiculous. This is exactly the kind of thing the anti-hunting groups drool over. If the ranchers/farmers were really serious about saving their land they would use large traps that capture entire herds. Then the pigs could be dispatched quickly and the meat either donated or whatever they wanted to do with it. These traps are probably as effective or better than helicopter hunting because you catch most of the group at once. I have personally seen how effective the traps are. If you don't like whats in the trap you can always let them go. It comes down to dollars, the ranchers both hate and love the feral hogs. It brings in extra dollars for the hunting leases, hence they often charge a few hundred bucks to shoot some. They are destructive, no arguement there, but "hunting" out of a helicopter?

If someone wants to pretend to be a helicopter door gunner flying the canyons looking for targets then join the military.

It just looks so bad to the non hunters out there, why give them ammo? Just my two cents.

I never comment on things like this that are sure to generate a wide variety of opinions but couldn't keep my fingers shut!

I’ve spent a fair amount of time working in East Texas and traps aren’t enough to deal with the hog problem. In all honesty, the helicopters aren’t enough either. If everyone in the state shot one a week it wouldn’t be enough! But, it’s another tool and there is an economic benefit to both the helicopter outfitter and the farmers and ranchers to do the helicopter hog shoots. I see no problem with it as long as it’s a quick and humane kill. I also see no problem with shooting and letting them lay. I personally let old hogs lay and only butcher the young ones. In my view it’s no different than killing a rat and not doing anything with him...

I wonder if those who have expressed offense by this video are also offended by shooting coyotes or prairie dogs by the 100s, and leaving them to rot. It seems to me that most of the comments left for people who post coyote kills are positive, due to a belief that it will improve game populations. If pigs are left to run wild and destroy the environment, will that also not have a negative impact on game? To be honest the video does not offend me, and to be more honest it looks like a kick in the pants. I don't see it as hunting, but as using an effective tool to improve the environment for native species. Posting it online is probably not wise, as many hunters and almost all non-hunters will take offense.

If you call it hunting or predator control you have to love the state of Texas. Imagine trying to do this PA or NY or even in AZ.

Its not lame, it is all about private property rights, gun rights and the freedom to find a solution to a serious problem without having the goverment or some lefty minded individual tell you, you can't do that.