Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Javelina with a Grizzly (.45 Win Mag)

I really wanted to get one with my bow this year on our 37B HAM hunt. I hunted with it on Friday and Saturday, but never saw any. Sunday arrived along with another friend to hunt with, so it was 3 of us going out on Sunday. That, plus my arm was tired, was why I decided to just go out with just my pistol. Jorge spotted a herd on the next ridge around 10:00, so we swung around ahead of them and watched as they made their way down into a draw. Jorge moved over to be across from them with the drainage inbetween. Ted and I stayed off to one side, allowing Jorge first shot, since he spotted them. I counted 6 pigs, two were smaller young-uns. Jorge opened fire with his S&W .357- I saw dirt flying a couple of times around one and then saw it go down hard. I was surprized at two things: Jorge not connecting right away-he's a great shot- and that they didn't go running off when the shooting began. They were hanging around behind some brush grunting and snorting, but I couldn't see any. I moved up the hill slowly and then saw through the brush that one was coming up the hill too. I saw it was going to come out into the clear, so I cocked and aimed my Grizzly .45 Win Mag and when it stepped out in the open, I nailed it! It turned out to be an 18 yd broadside shot! DARN-IT...could have had one with my bow! Anyway, the other pigalinas then started running in all directions, Ted went up after one that went over the ridge. Another double for Jorge and I!

post-736-0-07498000-1361251170_thumb.jpg

I checked out mine, it was a boar. Jorge hollered out that his was a sow, a non-typical. I said a what? A non-typical! You gotta come and see he says. I go over and look....one toe on his sow is long and curved up!

post-736-0-35707100-1361251227.jpg

post-736-0-71060500-1361251642.jpg

After high-fives and pictures, we weighed them: the boar was 56 lbs and the sow was 53 lbs. They were old by the looks of their teeth. After dressing them out, we looked around and found that their bed was 10 yds away from where we shot them.

post-736-0-12480300-1361251260.jpg

We figured that must have been why they stood around grunting instead of running-they were "home" and had nowhere to run to. Who knows. Unfortunately, Ted came back empty, so we loaded up to head back to camp. Another great hunt!

Couestracker

Sounds like y'all had an exciting hunt. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your hunt with us. :)

TJ

Very awesome!

Can you provide information on your pistol/caliber please.

Thanks for the feedback guy's!

The pistol is a L.A.R. Grizzly Mark 1, which fires a .45 cal Winchester Magnum, 260 grain bullet. Basically a larger 1911 with a 6.5" barrel, LAR made these in the 80's and 90's. Other calibers were available also. post-736-0-81552700-1362338573_thumb.jpg

Mine is an early Mark 1, serial # below 250. I mounted a Burris Fast Fire III red dot sight on it. This was my first hunt using this pistol. It's accurate and fun to shoot!

Congratulations on your successful hunt. I misread the thread's title, thinking you had used a .458 Winchester Magnum!

I used my .458 on a javelina in the mid-1980s just to do it. It was surprising how little meat it damaged. That javelina and a Cape buffalo are the only animals I ever shot with that rifle. Wish I still had it, but it was one of 35 long guns that were stolen this year.

Bill Quimby

That is way cool guys and congratulations!!! I got my My first with Ruger GP100 .257 mag this year. It was tough! And those are some pretty Kic*%#s guns too!! Congrats again!

Sorry , meant .357 mag. Great story too! Here's a shot of my 1st this year.post-4863-0-64339100-1362434827.jpg.

Congratulations! Were the weights field dressed or whole?

Thanks Amanda! The weights were before we dressed them out. I carry a Rapala fish scale in my pack for weighing the lighter critters, It's small, light and good for around 60 lbs I think. The dressed weight on the boar was 38 lbs and the sow was 33 lbs.

The pistol is a L.A.R. Grizzly Mark 1, which fires a .45 cal Winchester Magnum, 260 grain bullet. Basically a larger 1911 with a 6.5" barrel, LAR made these in the 80's and 90's. Other calibers were available also. attachicon.gif45 magnum with red dot 1c.jpg

Mine is an early Mark 1, serial # below 250. I mounted a Burris Fast Fire III red dot sight on it. This was my first hunt using this pistol. It's accurate and fun to shoot!

I would like to mount the same sight on my own Grizzly. Which mount did you use? Did the mount or the pistol require any modification?