Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Arizona Prairie dog hunting

I'm thinking about taking my sons to Seligman for some Prairie dog fun. I've never hunted them before, but it looks like fun. Anyone hunted Arizona Prairie dogs before? What are the season dates?

Adam

Since getting tags in Arizona can be difficult, this is the season I look forward to. We have been doing it for about 3 years now when we camp during the summer. You will wonder why you didn't get into it earlier. Have fun.

When is the best time to go? Would next month be ok or are they hybernating in the winter? I'm really looking forward to going.

Anyone have any pics? It would fun to have a CW prairie dog shoot togeather.

I'd love to go on a P-dog shoot. I've always done them in the Spring and Summer, but as we saw from the G&F fiasco, there are some closed dates we have to be aware of. I've got a few local colonies that I've been watching, but most just can't take much pressure. A couple of guys in 2 days could pretty much wipe them out.

I hear there are places in NM with huge p-dog towns, but I've never gone after them. The biggest colonies I've found are along the AZ/NM border but there is a ton of private land in there. It's hard to know where you are legal and where you aren't. I'd be up for a CWT p-dog shoot. Just tell me where to pull my trailer and I'll have the 25-06 and .223 ready burn some powder.

Try talking to some ranchers. The ones I've talked to are happy to have us help out with the populations on their lands. We usually stick to just the summer months, they just seem to be more active. Good luck.

Brings back childhood memories, we used to shoot a lot of prairie dogs out by St. John's in the summer. It was such a blast!

Here's some pics of my kids shooting desert rats. Cant wait to take them prairie dog shooting. Any one know what the little desert Prairie dog look alike's a called? Are they some type of Prairie dog or ground Squirl?

post-1205-0-73855000-1361756843_thumb.jpg

post-1205-0-29451200-1361757035_thumb.jpg

Round Tail Ground Squirrel.

a mature female gunnisons prairie dog is the size and weight of a full 2 liter soda bottle. pops about the same too......

lee

Round Tail Ground Squirrel.

a mature female gunnisons prairie dog is the size and weight of a full 2 liter soda bottle. pops about the same

too......

Thanks and LOL!

I call them sage rats.

I am looking to go to seligman middle of next month. How is it that time of year for shooting prairie dogs?