Sign in to follow this  
mklong40

G/F Tag Pig Down

Justin (Greenemachine), Jimmy (Jimmyc) and I got out Friday morning in 33 and got some stink pigs down. Found them about 11am running a wash. Justin took about a 80 yard shot and mine was close to 35 yards. Cool thing, if you look at Justins pig, it has a G/F tag in her ear. It said "Please call G/F before consuming." Not 100% sure, but Jimmy found out the pig had been tranqualized at some point by G/F and to be safe, you need to call the dept first to make sure the meat is safe. Justin walked up and the Coues skull was 5ft. from the pig.

.....anyone else ever shoot a tagged pig like that?

Thanks Jimmy for your help!!

post-5969-0-90845100-1361722726_thumb.jpg

That's pretty neat. I'm curious as to how would they be able to tell you yes or no on the meat being safe? If all the meat was "safe", why would you need to call in the first place? No date on the tag?

Congrats to you guys on the stinkers.

Congrats on your piggies. My friend shot an ear tagged Rocky and it said not to eat but he ate it anyway....said it was delicious!

Sure sucks to be a javi that got shot twice, congrats! We're you guys anywhere near Tucson city limits? Not too long ago there was a disease floating around the herds near city limits

Should be fine. The drug they use they also use in bears and it has been shown to be completely out of a bears body in less that 14 days. I would assume it is probably close to the same time frame for a Javalina. Would be good to call and get the date the animal was drugged to be safe.

elkhunter, we were right outside of Oracle on the Tucson side. So I guess you could say we were outside of the Tucson city limits. I have not spoke with Justin yet to see if G/F has called him back. I already dropped the meat of to be processed.There was no date on the tag, just the statement to call before consuming.

elkhunter, we were right outside of Oracle on the Tucson side. So I guess you could say we were outside of the Tucson city limits. I have not spoke with Justin yet to see if G/F has called him back. I already dropped the meat of to be processed.There was no date on the tag, just the statement to call before consuming.

I heard they were vaccinating some pigs in that area to control canine distemper. Did they say anything about whether that might be why they wanted you to call?

By the way..."G/F Tag Pig Down" made me think I was going to read a post about someone's girlfriend tagging a pig. When I opened and saw the photo, my first thought was "which one is the girlfriend, and why is the other one with her?" :-)

• Like 2

G&F finally called me back and they said, "That thing you shot is a large rodent and they taste like crap. Just thought we'd let you know before you bit in to it!"

Actually, the ear tag has a number and based on the number and color of the tag, they were able to look it up and it was caught inside the botanical garden downtown, tranquilized and released last feb out near oracle.

Until they called back, half of me thought there was something up with the pig. We've taken a handful of pigs but none smelled as bad as this sucka!