Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Unit 17 Javelina Success

So after a long week waiting to head out and hunt some stink pigs, Thursday finally came. I left work around 10:30 to meet a buddy, pack up, and head out. After a couple delays, we finally got on the road around 1:00pm. Drove up to the Northern portion of 17B to set up camp, experiencing snow almost the entire way after turning off the 69. Upon arrival of our camp site, the wind started picking up and the snow became heavier. I was expecting much more snow on the ground, but luckily, there were only small patches here and there. So we set up camp and headed off into the hills for an evening scout and to check out the situation.

post-5901-0-95143800-1361814339_thumb.jpg

That night I came up with a plan and opening morning we executed that plan. We were up and heading into the hills around 7:00am. The temperature at our camp site was 14 degrees. It was FREEZING! We hiked up to our glassing spot and let the fun begin. About 30 minutes in, around 8:00am, I glassed up a large javelina at 350 yards. I guided my hunting buddies into the him until they also had him in their binos, it wasn't long before we got the herd of 4 in our glass. Almost immediately, they worked down into a valley where we had lost sight of them, so we moved along the ridge of boulders we were on to get a better angle at the valley. After about a 10 minute hike, we got set back up to glass. Not 1 minute later we had them back in sight. They were cruising between thick bushes and pinyon trees and we only had a visual on 1 at a time. The largest of the herd came out in the open and my buddy had sights on him while we waited for another to show itself. We were dead set on taking 2 at the same time. For 2 minutes he had his rifle sights set on that large javelina, yet the other didn't ever show itself. Finally, the large guy went back into the tree, and immediately the other one showed himself for about 30 seconds. After he went back into the thick stuff, we lost them for a couple minutes. Then the big one popped out and was walking quickly over the next hill and out of sight. The other 3 quickly followed. I had my sights on the trailing javelina and just waited for a slight pause, which never came. I got a little anxious and let one fly in fear that we wouldn't be able to track them over the next hill. Needless to say, I spooked them and off they went.

We spent the rest of the day trying to locate them, with no luck. After the debacle opening morning, we had decided if one of us gets a shot, take it. Don't wait around and don't waste an opportunity.

The next morning we figured we would hit the same spot we first glassed them up in hopes they would come back. Sure enough just like clockwork, I glassed them up about a hundred yards from where they were the morning before, right at 8:00am. I got my buddy JM on to them in the binos and grabbed my new Tikka. I immediately put the largest visible javelina in the crosshairs of my Vortex Viper scope, and got into position. Just as he turned broadside, the largest of the herd popped out from the bush behind him and I switched my aim to him. Not 3 seconds later I pulled the trigger, and he dropped. The other 2 that were with him trotted off and my buddy Mike chased them over the hill, only to find another hunter sitting there by his truck taking aim as they ran. He let off a shot that had no chance, and the javelina ran off into the sunrise.

As I got to the downed javelina, I was surprised by his weight. I didn't have a scale but he felt heavy!

After getting skunked for the past 2 years, and not even seeing a dang thing, this was a gratifying hunt to say the least! I feel that my glassing skills and overall hunting skills have increased greatly since taking the glassing class that Duwane Adams offers. I would highly recommend it.

post-5901-0-39705500-1361816461_thumb.jpg

post-5901-0-28102000-1361816473_thumb.jpg

post-5901-0-24356400-1361821242_thumb.jpg

post-5901-0-14685500-1361821253_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the write-up and the pictures. Them pigs make excellent sausage by the way. Congratulations! :)

TJ