Sign in to follow this  
Little Creek Calls

New Calls

I just finished up the first batch of calls to be used at my upcoming seminar. I will be working on more in March. They will be used by all attending and will be available for purchase after the seminar. It will be a turkey calling seminar Thursday April 4 at 6PM at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Mesa.

nc_zpsb64263c0.jpg

nc2_zpsc7cfee6d.jpg

nc3_zpsb89d9161.jpg

Do you make box calls also? I have no idea what kind I should get. This will be my first time turkey hunting this year, what do you usually recommend for a new person. I might just get one of each and try both.

I am hoping to have some boxes available for sale at the seminar. As far as recommendations go try all the different calls and buy the one you are the most confident using. Some people like Box calls some people like pot calls some people like mouth calls and everyone will give you a different answer. When I first started I always carried a box but didn’t have much confidence using it so I would always use pot calls and push pin’s instead. I finally had to force myself into using only the box call one year to get some confidence in it and the first morning I called in two Jakes that came all the way in and were picking at my shoe laces. I passed on them but ended up shooting a mature gobbler later that season with the box. I now don’t hesitate to use the box or any of the calls in my vest. One recommendation I would give you is learn to use a mouth call and practice with it. Most turkeys I have killed last sounds heard came from mouth calls. I might use other calls to start or locate turkeys but when they are close it is hard to beat the no movement and variable volume of a mouth call. Also don’t overlook the push pin call. It is the easiest to operate and hardest to screw up. I called in my first bird using a push pin.

• Like 1

Looks great, counting the days until opener here....Out to scout tomorrow!

Nice job on the calls, they look sweet!!! I hope I can call in another bird this year with your calls. So I'm thinking I'm going to need that Hawaiian one.

I would prefer you pre-register because I will need to bring enough calls for everyone to use. I need to know how many to make and bring. Will we still take unregistered walk in’s but will hand out mouth calls to all who registered first. By not registering you take a chance of running out and not receiving a free mouth call. I was going to charge $2 to cover cost of materials for the mouth calls but changed my mind and the mouth calls will be a gift from me for all in attendance while supply’s last. To register send me a pm with your name and the names of those attending with you and I will add you to the list. I need to get in to Sportsman’s and get a sign up registration started there as well.

Vowell, Someone else needed that Hawaiian wood call (robusta eucalyptus) as well and it was sold yesterday. I will be making 4 or 5 more in March and should have some available at the seminar. The seminar special for Pot calls will be $35 that’s $10 off and a great deal for a custom handmade call.

I just finished the second batch of mouth calls for the seminar at Sportsman's Warehouse on April 4th. There will be three styles to choose from. The first picture was sent to me from a friend who used the call I made to kill this turkey in Nebraska last year. I also killed a bird in AZ last year and called another bird in for a youth hunter using this style call. It is my new favorite mouth call. The other two styles are also great calls. They are the ones I learned on and have killed many birds with these calls. I made these calls with same materials and call press that all the major call companies are using with just a few minor variations. I use a different frame than most to get a thinner finished call and a more consistent stretch on the latex. The result is a thinner call that helps avoid that gag reaction for those with smaller mouths. I also measure the stretch of the latex on each each call made for the best sound and consistent calls every time. Every one who attends will get one and receive training on use.

3image.jpg

IMGP0286_zps4ba335ef.jpg