Sign in to follow this  
HaYen

4 tags / 1st hour / 4 Javelina's

4 tags 1 hour 4 Javelina's.

This was a specail hunt me becuase I took my niece on her first hunt. Shes been shooting with me since she was 15 and now at the ripe old age of 21 she got to go on her first hunt. She loved every minute of it even though she didn't have a tag. Well that will change soon enough. Also since she was the only one without and blood on her she took all the pictures so there are none of her. Thank you Tracy "The Pig Whisperer" for your advise.

HaYen

0222131117.jpg

Nephew with 2 pigs.

0222131139.jpg

Me with my pig. Hey the nephew is younger

IMAG0233.jpg

This was the oldest of the pigs we shot. Yes he belonged to the nephew Future Chorizo :-)

I need to upload some more as soon as I get them.

I must say you made it sound easy taking 4 pigs in 1hr but then again I know better. You still had to carry'em out. Congratulations on all the success. There are lots of Tracy's but there is only one "Pig Whisperer" and that has to be my good buddy Tracy as in Tracy & Angie. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing your niece in the pictures next time with her own pig. :)

TJ

Right on!!!!

Wooohoo! FANTASTIC!!! I was wondering how you guys did. Seeing that you guys were successful completely makes my day. Great job and congrats! How about a story on how it all went down???

-Tracy

Yep Gr8 White Jr Tracy. Val and I got to camp Thursday night. My family called ahead to warn us there was snow on the ground and we should dress accordingly. Friday morning we got up and headed out. Normally we pair up but because this was Javelin and they found a pretty good size herd Thursday we all went together. We got to our spot around 8 AM. Val and I took on side of a ridge while the others were on the other side around 20 yards away. We weren't glassing for more than 10 minutes when cousin Frank called us over. When we got to their side I could see two pigs without my binos. The Leupold RF put the cactus just to the right of them at 308 yards. At that distance and the fact that they didn't know we were there, I wanted to take a prone shot. Before I could get into position, a shot rang out; then another; and another. No joy, so the guys started to move closer. Val and I stayed back to see if there was any movement. She found one but I could get my scope on him from where I was propped up. She and I decided to go find the others. They were over on the next ridge. By the time we made it to the bottom of the cut another shot rang out. This time I heard a pig whaling. "Where is he baby gurl?" "Right there!!!" "Where?!?" I exclaimed. "Right there he's coming down the hill right in front of you?" Bingo while all the other pigs were making a B-line up the hill knuckle head was running down. I didn't have time to get into a prone position so I took my best attempt at an offhand shot. After I squeezed the trigger I again asked "where is he?" Val couldn't see him nor could I. It seemed like forever before she yelled "Right there Right there!!!!" I still couldn't see it. "Right in front of you, you don't need binos!!!" She was getting a little frustrated that uncle BJ couldn’t see it and right fully so, what I thought was a rock was a Javelin looking right in my direction. Again the RF put him at 311 yards. This time impatience got the best of me. I pulled up the 22-250 and jerked the trigger ... wide right by 2 feet. I can't tell how glad I was that I missed that shot and that I only brought 2 rounds with me. One he guys yelled out "you shot him in the neck!" "Uh no I didn't". It appears my first shot was a score. The blood was on his neck but the bullet entered his right eye socket. We didn't see it from where we were at but the the other could see it bloody carcass. AGAIN I AM VERY GLAD MY SECOND SHOT MISSED AND I LEFT THE REST OF MY ROUNDS WITH THE GEAR UP THE HILL. So now the question is do we hike back up the hill, get in the rangers and drive to the other side or hike down and back up the other side? So 4 of us start down the hill while two head back the rangers. Let me tell you, Val was like a kid in a candy store. She didn't want to leave me behind but if I wasn't there she would have ran down that hill. I think she was more worried about me (I fell 3 times down that same hill last year). When we got to the pigs they were within 50 yards of each other, 3 boars and one sow. We decided the three guys were the only ones that needed to get bloody. I had a back pack and my pig. Ryan had the two smallest pigs (that dog can hunt!!) and Tom had his sow and my rifle. Val had a full backpack, a fanny pack (the larger one with two binos, knives, GPS and a few other stuff), and camelback. Before we got to the second ridge, she had relieved Tom of my Savage M12 and started carrying that beast. Oh yeah she can hunt with me anytime.

I told her she was getting a tag next year. She has been wanting me to give her that 22-250 (she shoots it more than I do and already calls it her baby) but I may get her own brand new rifle. Her brother (14 y.o.) interestingly enough wants to bow hunt. He isn't too keen on rifles. If his mom lets me, I'll get him enrolled in a hunter safety course and put him in for Javelina and OTC deer next year..

I love that little girl. She has been my shooting partner since she was about 16 y.o. and I'll take her hunting anytime.

That is pretty awesome for the family, thank you for sharing.

Alex

Nice!