Sign in to follow this  
deercrazy

.17HMR info requested

With the run on .22LR ammo these days. I started to do some research on the .17HMR, and would like to know from members who have real life hunting experience with it, to give a short review. What make of gun do you have, and how has it performed at the range and in the field. Thanks for your response.

I own a heavy barrell savage, and the gun is pretty accurate. Having said that, I would rather have a 22WMR over my .17. I bought it because it sounded like a great cartridge. After shooting my gun, I noticed that it is terrible in wind. I have also noticed that on praire dogs, I usally can not see where I miss, when I miss. Since there is always wind on the praire dog towns, seems I miss frequently. I have also noticed that the damage you expect from such a hot round, usually isn't there. I have yet to shoot a coyote with it, ( I think the gun is cursed) but have shot 7 foxes and it has done the trick as far as knocking them dead. I did have one fox that I hit in the liver area, and he went for quite a while before I caught up to him. If it were me, I would by a 22 WMR over a 17 HMR. Oh yeah, it does do wonders on squirrell heads tho!!!

I love mine. I dont shoot past 100 yds with it. I have shot coyotes, rabbits, squirrels, and a turkey when it was legal. The coyote did the spin for about 10 yds and was toast. No pelt damage! It is devastating on small game. I would rather have my .17 over my ruger 10-22 any day.

I just picked up a CZ 452 17HMR and installed a Leupold vx2 2x7x33 and absolutely love it. Shoots great out to 150 and furthermore the ammo is still available, at least for now.

I just picked up a CZ 452 17HMR and installed a Leupold vx2 2x7x33 and absolutely love it. Shoots great out to 150 and furthermore the ammo is still available, at least for now.

Nice choice in rifle setup, those CZ's are sweet. I have the22 mag in the 455. Deercrazy, if you can afford a extra $100-200 the cz is a great choice.

here is some extensive research from varmint als electic webpage.

after reading this there shouldn't be any questions what it can and can't do.

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

James

I would rather have my .17 over my ruger 10-22 any day.
What about a 17 HMR in a 10/22 action??? ;) I have a 17 from volquartsen that uses 10/22 mags. I paid way too much for it, but its absolutely ridiculous to shoot. As far as th caliber goes, I love it.

post-2457-0-15461300-1363583644_thumb.jpgpost-2457-0-84239100-1363583705.jpgpost-2457-0-57921000-1363583723_thumb.jpgI have shot about 10 foxes with mine this year, a bobcat, multiple rabbits, and two hogs in NM. Nothing takes more than a step of two. I shoot the winchesters with the vmax bullet. It shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100yds. I have the CZ in a manlicher stock. I love it, no pelt damage and its pretty quiet. great round. You can also find some ammo for it too...