Sign in to follow this  
DotShot

300WSM Load

I've been shooting a Remington 700 XCR chambered in 300WSM for the last 6 years and I absolutely love this rifle, however, purchasing ammo is a tad bit pricey. That being said, this particular rifle LOVES the Barnes VOR-TX 165gr TTSX ammunition and I am wondering if I should try and duplicate a hand-load to the factory specs or just continue to bite the bullet and buy factory ammo. (Looking for an excuse to get a re-loader) . Has anyone worked up a load similar to what the factory stats on this ammo are? Without looking at the box I believe they list the velocity at 3130fps. Anyone? Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

reload, you can come up with a load your rifle will like and while the costs per round are cheaper, when I was reloading a lot my ammo costs didn't really go down, but I got to shoot a whole bunch more rounds for the same money. For example my .220swift was about a dollar every time I squeezed the trigger, made them myself for about 25 cents each. Initial cost for the reloading equipment will set you back some, but if you shoot a lot it will even out then soon you will be ahead.

The in general the tsx and ttsx are great shooting bullets. With a little work, you should probably be able to work up a load that shoots better than your current store bought rounds.

If you want an even better bullet try the current 180 grain nosler accubonds; they shoot really well in the 300 WSM. Another bullet I'm going to try is the nosler 190 grain LongRange Accubonds, which should be out next month sometime.

I have had great luck with 165 nosler accubond in the 300 wsm. I have two and load for manny others. I use imr 4350, but just loaded for a friend and used r-17 behind the 165 and 150 ab and got 1/4 inch groups from both. We went with the 165 due to higher bc. Speeds were easily 3300 fps with no pressure problems.

Good luck.

Whitey

185 Gr. Berger VLD's with RL-17 pushing it. I have Found this to be a very accurate load, so long as you load to maximum magazine length. I had a hard time getting the TTSX 180's to get a good group out of my 300 WSM.