Sign in to follow this  
dobbs07

Questions about draw process

So previously I thought that your card gets charged when you draw a tag, if it is approved you get a tag, if declined they move onto the next app in order. However it seems from what I have read is that they go through and complete the draw, and then go back through and complete bulk credit card charges. Then if cards decline they fill those in with the next person. (Please correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding there)

I have a couple concerns with the above process, and honestly can't see how declined cards don't result in a complete redraw.

See the below example:

Example. Two guys put unit 9 archery bull first choice, and 6a second choice. Let's says application A gets tag 75/75 for unit 9, and applicant B is the very next one to get drawn, and he misses getting unit 9 by one tag so instead gets his second choice 6a tag. Now let's say they go in and charge everyone, and applicant A's card gets declined, does applicant B then get his first choice unit 9 tag, or do they pick someone else to fill it? If they move applicant B to unit 9, then does that free up another unit 6a tag? Then shifting everyone else up one tag number? Possibly giving another person a 6a tag? Or do they just pick the next person who would've gotten a unit 9 tag and fill them in thereby leap frogging the person that missed getting a unit 9 tag by one? See what I'm saying? I don't see how they can possibly handle a declined card without having to redo the whole draw. Anyone have any ideas?

• Like 1

They run thru the draw then charge cards, paying for the tag is a separate entity from the draw process. Without calling and getting the particulars, I would guess they redraw for the unallocated tags as a secondary draw with the remaining applicants still in their previous order. They know where everybody is and just go back and fill out the allocations.

As far as I understand it they first will go through the entire draw. Then charge the cc's appropriately. If a credit card fails that person will be bumped and the line will slide forward. The newly charged people will be the ones added in to "the back of the line." If you were one of the "late cc hits" you most likely slid into one of your last choices.

Good question. Probably ly better directed to game and fish as I'm sure they'll explain it to u. Be curious to see what they say

Just another reason they should charge you up front, at the time of application. Then they know everyone is paid up before they run the draw......DUH!

• Like 1

This is really interesting. If what dobbs is saying is true, guys that have alot of points and "deserve" a premo tag a little more you could say, are getting leeped frogged by people with, on average, less points than themselves in the above scenerio. Since during the first pass the guy with a alot of points actually drew his second choice, he probably is now no longer eligible to "slide up" into the unit 9 tag that is now open because of a credit card decline. And so someone with less points could then effectively slide over the guys who drew their second choice... ?

Full fee up front solves it, along with all the other issues. It'll never happen unless hunters demand it. It could easily be added to the license simplification legislation already proposed.

• Like 1

As far as I know, on a party app there is only one card used for the online system. If there is one problem with ANYTHING on that app, all loose out

If you don't want to draw your second choice; Don't put a second choice. I only apply for hunts I want and am happy if I get a tag at all. I've only ever had two elk tags, two deer tags and have never drawn antelope. I'm pretty unlucky. Of course I can draw javelina tags every year...

My understanding is that AZ cannot charge up front because of a law that prevents them from charging a credit card, without guaranteeing a service or good. I'd rather they charged up front, too. Then, if your bank screws up (sorry B of A customers) and declines before the correction period is up, you get it squared away without getting penalized. It would probably add up to a nice chunk of change on the interest from all that dough that AZGFD could put back into hunter R&R, habitat projects, etc.

In Dobbs' scenario, I think Applicant B shout STFU, smile and hunt 6A. Better yet, they could send me any tag and I'll use it since I got skunked. ;)

I agree that it's problematic, but there probably isn't a perfect solution to an imperfect system. Pre-charging would solve a lot of issues, but it would eliminate the fun and excitement all of us have checking our cc charges every 15 minutes the last part of March. :rolleyes: