billrquimby

ADVICE ON QUADS

I do think i have road my quad in just as many conditions and rough areas as just about anyone. I have had an ATV from the time i was 6 years old or so when i got a honda 70 three wheeler. So i do know how cold it is on one.I know how hot it is on one .I know how heavy one is on me. I have been up the steepest hills and down those steepest hill. I have even made my own road up a few hills.I have been on paved roads and off paved roads. All on my street leagle quad. To drive on any road in the mountains anymore you dang near have to have a street leagle quad and plates. :)

I know a jeep is a good hunting rig and a very usfull hunting tool for most people. I have used mine from the time i got it as a freshman in high school up until a few years ago. Bill wanted to know about ATV's and if he thought he would use it enough. I think he asked mainly because of his age and wanting to keep hunting. The thought of a quad helping him in this i would say he would use it plenty. I am 34 and use mine plenty right now so the older and Fater ( speaking of myself only) the more i will use it.

I may start looking at the Rinos and Rangers for the fact i can put a full cab on them and use them in cold weather with a heater and all in it. I like the ranger just for the fact it is a three seater bench and not a two person bucket seats. Then i put a back seat in it and my whole family can ride on it.

I totally respect your opinions Diamondbackaz, ''to each his own''. My rhino will be street legal very soon. You can put tops,doors,heaters,dancing girls, you name it they make it for these things. I wish I could afford a jeep to so we could go do some crawlin'!

No never had one go over. Why have you. I dont drive it like a Maniac. If you use it responsible you wont have any problems. I have a 3/4 chevy duramx pickup it weighs alot more than the quad and it stay upright also.

I have laid it on its side once, and one time it went over the top of me, grinding my helmet into a rock in the road. Fortunetly it kept on rolling and didn't stay on top of me. No speed involved, just very steep uneven terrain. I do, and have ridden some extremely rough roads. I've done a lot of riding over the years. If you ride some of the roads like I do, you would fall of yours too,,,,

Diamondbackaz

I appreciate you looking you out for me but I dont think I'm going to ( fall off .) I might get thrown off. But I'm going to have to just take my chance's. I guess I dont hunt as hard as you do. Yet I will probaly spend no less then 60-70 days this fall scouting ,hunting and guiding.

Bill- Held out on a quad for several years and finally bought new this summer. I enjoy the heck out of it and have been out almost every week. Going places I used to turn around because I didn't want to beat up my truck. I think you would enjoy it immensely, go for it live it up. I had a ATC 25 years ago, this is like being a kid again

Thank you everyone, but I've decided it's too late for me to try new things. The odds of my drawing an elk tag in the four or five years I'll be able to hunt are awful. I'm content just helping friends with their hunts. Beside's I'd rather take the money a quad costs and go back to Africa again.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

Sounds like a wise and more enjoyable redirection of funds. If you do get drawn for wapiti, certainly there are others on your hunt who will have ATV's to use or borrow.

Doug~RR

• Like 2

I have a solution Bill why don't you just buy me a New quad. :lol:

Bill,

Since you are getting tons of great advise from the group, I will throw my 2 cents into the discussion. You need to narrow your search to the field’s that fit your use criteria (i.e. Quad vs. utv, storage, hauling, accessibility, etc..) Arizona Griz, ScottAdams and Diamondbackaz helped you answer those questions. I believe you have an idea as to what you want, it’s just the reality of finding the right setup.

I have owned everything from Honda to Polaris over the past 29 years. I have had trail bikes, 3 wheelers and quads. All these recreation vehicles have served me well for causal riding to hard core back country hunting and exploring. The biggest issue I’ve had in common with all these vehicles is storage room. No matter how you pack, you never seem to have enough room for all your supplies and equipment. Your interest in a trailer is wise, however, I will caution you that if you are in the back country be careful with the size and weight of your loaded trailer. You will need enough power and traction to get you in and out of the woods safely.

I purchased a small trailer in 1995 for use with the 2 Polaris 400’s Sportsman’s I had. I used it for several years, but always wanted more accessibility in the woods and more room on my quads. I then found the next generation of quads that legally holds 2 rides, and has more power and storage than I could ever image. Polaris came out with a upgrade to the Sportsman model, the Polaris Sportsman 500 efi X2. I attached a link for you to view on the review and testing of this quad. I have owned 2 of these quads since 2006. They are the best quads I have ever owned. They are registered for street use, all 4x4 and 4x2 options, have a dump bed and full size rear seat built for a rider. The quads are water cooled, electronic fuel injected 4 stroke engines with a centrifugal clutch transmission that has Hi, Low and Reverse gearing. Not much more you could ask for in a bike.

I’m contemplating selling my 2006 X2 in the near future. All my kids are grown and doing their own thing now. Having 2 of these quads has worked great for me over the past several years, but I think it is time to look at just keeping one on staff for my use. Good luck in your quest. There are a lot of good bikes out there, and I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Hope this helps!

1bowhnter

i have one listed on here that is the mack daddy of all quads. only has 900 miles on it but you need to check out my post. if anything else just take a look to see what all it has. the topic is MV7 Posted around the end of august. a little more than most used quads but retail was 12K. I listed it for $5900 but would accept a reasonable offer. i actually have 2 so im selling one.

non the less i would recommend a quad or ranger/rhino type vehicle for elk hunting unless you can shoot one by the road

guys....you are posting in a thread that is 7 years old....don't think he needs more advice now....

LOL