Sign in to follow this  
coues krazy

Coconino travel managment

Is the forest service enforcing this? I was up around apache maid this weekend, and can tell you no one is complying with there rules. Most of the places people camp are well established. People arent going to park on the side of the road, and I dont blame them. Just seems unenforceable to me.

In 5a and saw 4 camps, 2 on roads where there is no camping and 2 too far from the camping roads. So I would say no, they aren't enforcing . I am sure when summer hits the campers are going to hear about it. As far as closed roads, I haven't seen a closed road yer without tire tracks on it.

This is what I was told by a forest service official, "we won't write you a ticket, but game and fish will, no excuses" on camping off the roads a ways. We were camped about a hundred yards off the main road in a well established camping spot. I knew I was asking for a ticket, but with 5 little kids and 2 little dogs. I was going to fight it tooth and nail. Never saw a g&f so all worked out this time.

That's weird.... I thought that it was the G&F that said they will not enforce any travel management stuff? And are even fighting it?

I could be wrong.

Last year every G&F officer we ran into stated (not exact quote): "It's all FS regs; not our job." Guess we'll have to wait to see what transpires this fall ...

I heard G&F wasnt inforcing it as well. I also heard that there is only one Forest Service LEO for the entire Coconino Forest so ....

Lol well I guess that's the way it works! I did have a ton of grief given to us by the g&f in unit 9 shed hunting last year when this all came into effect. The forest service guy(that I've seen up there for the last 20 years) was cool about us camping in our usual spot. But it was enough that I won't be back to the kiabab national forest anytime soon!

I was a little more disappointed with the lack of following the "closed roads" rule on the coconino compared to the kiabab nat forest.

The forest access/road closures are so confusing. We spent time up in unit 8 last fall (Scouting, turkey, and cow elk). I know of at least one road that is marked "closed" on one end, that connects deeper into the forest to other roads.... that int marked closed at all.

And like others have said, here isnt "much closure" to the closed areas. Heck, again off one of the "main" forest roads, there was a closed spur. In plain sight of the road closed sign there were two of the mobile mansion rv's 50 feet from the sign all set up for an extended stay.

I know the state (along with game and fish) is trying to develop their own access plan

I heard G&F wasnt inforcing it as well. I also heard that there is only one Forest Service LEO for the entire Coconino Forest so ....

not true... there are different districts... red rock district, mogollon district, mormon lakes district, and peaks district.

You can call the office and get the # to the LEO's that work each districts. 1 guy even gave me some tips on where he's been seeing yotes!

The G$F part may be true, but I think this summer will tell the tale on how they will enforce or not.

last weekend we ended up on a closed road and there was a vehicle w/ tailor back in there, mind you he could have been cutting wood but I never heard a saw going.

I wish they would actually close some of those roads for real... it would make some of those tanks way better. nothing like following the rules and some jack wagon comes riding up after you humped it in a mile or more!

without the map they are confusing but with it and a little time out and about it becomes a little easier to know where you are...

the 30ft rule can suck it though!

James

anytime you need a map to tell you what road you can drive and were you can camp on public land our own land it is unexceptable I hope people continue to defy this new law they shouldve just enforced the laws they had before rather than looking the other way

• Like 2

Is the forest service enforcing this? I was up around apache maid this weekend, and can tell you no one is complying with there rules. Most of the places people camp are well established. People arent going to park on the side of the road, and I dont blame them. Just seems unenforceable to me.

I was at Apache Maid about a month ago and there was a Forest Service LEO parked just south of the mountain. It appeared he was out on a quad but I never seen him. I was hoping that he was out enforcing the TMR rules, but he was probably out trying to catch butterflies or something.

I, unfortunately, have to follow the rules and it is VERY frustrating knowing there is little to no enforcement and very few people following the rules. I've had different stories from different WM's, one will write a ticket while the other won't! Same thing with FS, It all depends on the individual and what side of the bed they woke up on that particular day, some will enforce it and some won't.

I think it's BS that there is no consistency, rules are rules, if I have to follow them, everybody else needs to follow them as well, and I want to see FS and G+F out there enforcing it!

Sorry for ranting, this one get's me fired up. You should see how pissed I get while having to ride a peddle bike down a closed road and have somebody come drive past me in a truck or quad and say the WM told them it's OK!

On a more positive note...

I recently downloaded all the TMR maps onto my iPhone and it works awesome. You can follow the instructions off the FS websites and they provide the QR codes for downloading, it's really easy and WAY easier than trying to figure out where you are on the paper map.

With the map on my phone, it'll actually place a blue dot on the map showing my exact location and I can even add place marks. This is very helpful as the maps aren't very accurate and there are roads that are open on the map but don't exist anymore in the forest which can get very frustrating and confusing!

The maps work regardless if you have service or not, but you need to have cell service for it to show your location on the map.

The camping rules are rediculous. Most of the places they allow camping are terrible. Personally, I wont camp 10 yards from a road. Its just plain dangerous. They should have enforced the atv laws they already had. Almost every one are camping in places that have been used for years. I use the woods to hunt. Not every one else does the same. Its public land. No, you shouldnt be able to ride an atv anywhere you want, but most of these roads have been around for alot of years. I agree ,close some of the quad trails. Dont make people camp on the side of main roads. As its written, I can pull my truck 10 yards off the road, and camp.Thats great. Now I will build a new fire pit. Gotta comply with fire rules right? Gotta be in a contained ring right? Watch, in 20 years there will be campfire rings every 50 feet. Much worse then now. Stupid rule that I hope fails!

• Like 1

I was at Apache Maid about a month ago and there was a Forest Service LEO parked just south of the mountain. It appeared he was out on a quad but I never seen him. I was hoping that he was out enforcing the TMR rules, but he was probably out trying to catch butterflies or something.

Honestly, Ihope he was catching butterfies. Leave people alone unles they are doing something stupid. Camping in the forest is not stupid. Its an american tradition.
  • Like 1