Sign in to follow this  
WalkingW

Turkey camp 2013

I was up on the Marvin Robbins Memorial Youth Turkey Camp this weekend and had a great time. There were some good seminars on Friday and Saturday and the food was really good. I think that there were about 300 campers and hunters that came up for the hunt. We only had about 30 mentors that were helping out with this hunt this year and could have used some more but I think most of the first time hunters got to go out with a mentor on this trip. Some of them had to go out on the afternoon hunts do to the lack of mentors; so next year I will post all the info for those of you that might like to help. You do not have to be a good Turkey hunter “I am far from that myself” just have a little experience in the woods. I was happy to see some of my fellow OE4A guides out there helping out they are all a great bunch to have around. I was able to take out 9 kids this weekend “yes 9” and was blessed with great kids and parents every time. The kids were very mindful of their weapons and eagar to learn. It was just a great experience. I hope to see a lot of you there next year helping out.

• Like 4

WalkimgW, thanks for your commitment to such a great cause. My hats off to you and everyone who attended your camp and thanks to all the volunteers. Sounds like you could have used some more mentors. Thanks for sharing.

TJ

Yes, it's a great and rewarding experience. My second year in a row mentoring. Wished I could have made it happen for the girl and her father I took out. They (and I) had fun trying. It's about learning anyway, which did happen. Tons of effort from many volunteers from various hunting organizations, heavy on the AES and their equipment-not sure where the funding came from, but it was substantial. Key to keeping the tradition of hunting alive, while teaching ethical and responsible behaviors to our young ones. Bravo to all who contributed.

Tommy

My son and nephews had a great time. Food was great. Mentors awesome. My son harvested his first turkey. Nephew didn't pull the trigger, but the amount of adrenalin he experienced was enough to get him hooked. (and part of the reason he didn't harvest, "I can't stop shaking" "Are you cold?" "no, just so excited!")

I will work on my turkey hunting so I can mentor. Taking these kids out is better then harvesting my own animals.

• Like 1

Camp was great again this year! Like last year, I met a kid who will have a long-lasting impact for the better on my life. For as hard as the hunting was, nobody ever got discouraged. I ended up taking 9 kids total over the weekend and most of them got to see or hear bird and they got hooked!

And great to catch up and chat with you, again, Ty!

Thanks to all of you who were mentors at the camp. Beause it was not our first time turkey hunting, we did not get a mentor, but all the mentors that we talked with were very helpful and generous with their knowledge of where the birds were and where they were calling. We finally got into some on Sunday morning and spent the morning chasing and talking with a gobbler that just would not come into range.