Sign in to follow this  
mr.smith

Turkey Questions

I see plenty of turkeys in the fall. Where the heck do they go in the spring? I have only ever had two spring tags both in 5B. In 2009 I hunted pretty hard, found some tracks but never saw or heard a single bird. This year I have the same tag. I went out Friday morning to an area where I have seen turkeys in the fall but didn't turn up a single track, feather or poop. The spot where I saw the tracks on my previous hunt was occupied so I didn't go in there. I didn't get to hunt yesterday (had a wedding to go to) and I'm off to a late start today. I've got a couple days off this week and am hoping the crowds thin out.

Next question; what locator calls work for you? In all of my hunting and scouting I have never been able to get a bird to gobble at me. Come to think of it I have never even heard a wild turkey gobble. I have a crow call and an owl hooter and I know how to use them.

I've watched lots of videos, read everything I can find. I feel that I have a pretty firm grasp on turkey hunting but for some reason cannot put it together in practice.

Any tips or advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

My favorite locator call has always been the primos gobbler. It is easy to do, and always gets them fired up. I like to start my morning 2 hours before the sun comes up and try to drive and locate in the dark until you finally hear one respond. As far as where they go, I do not hunt 5B, but I have always had great luck locating them right on the edge of the snow line in during the spring hunts.

• Like 1

I hate the idea of using a gobble call due to the chance of calling in other hunters. Maybe during the week when there are fewer people out there.

You have to be a Turkey to know the answer those questions. :rolleyes:

You are what you eat. It's a conundrum. I need to kill a turkey to eat a turkey to think like a turkey so I can kill a turkey to eat... Oh Boy...

Alright, I'm going out to hunt/scout. I'll keep y'all posted.

No snow line this year, which is always the best spot, stay high along the Anderson Mesa rim. I to try and be on the ground in the dark and when the night starts to break listen listen listen. Turkey's sometimes sound like dogs (not coyotes) barking in the distance so give them a few yelps. First gobbles are generally from the roost so move that direction if their quite a distance off but keep in mind a turkey can cover quite a bit of ground when they come off the roost

Good Luck and enjoy the fun of watching the world come to life in the early dawn.

• Like 1

I know how you feel on trying to get turkeys to respond. All I can say is practice. Had best luck this weekend locating with a box call. They would only answer to a coyote call intermittent. Roosted several birds with the box call too. Had to switch to a slate when calling birds in, they didnt seem to like the box call after a short while.

I finally got a gobble. Managed to call in a trio of beardless jakes and roosted a bird this evening. Hopefully I can get in on him in the morning.

Like most everyone has said the best time for locator calls is before sunrise. I have not had much luck in AZ or NM with them in the middle of the day. I have heard some people swear by hawk, woodpecker and peacock calls but I have tried them all and come up empty handed. For locating them in the afternoon try some excited cutting, or just be out in the woods hiking and listening and occasionally calling. A flock of turkey is fairly noisy and they do call in the middle of the day you just can’t hear them if you are in your truck or back at camp. As far as morning locator calls use owl, crow, elk, coyote, gobbling or any other loud noise. Try to keep it short so you don’t miss the answer.

If you are not seeing fresh sign keep hiking or try some place new. They move to abundant available food sources and might vary from spring to fall. In the fall they tend to focus on acorns and hoppers and in the spring they like fresh sprouted grass and insects.

Hope this helps.

Today was slow. The roosted bird never talked in the morning, didn't hear any turkey noise all day. The wind picked up and I decided to sit water from 10-1:30. Then I went and looked for fresh sign in some other areas to find a back-up spot. No luck finding anything else though.