Sign in to follow this  
AZKX250

Is it too Late

I was thinking about taking my son and wife camping this weekend around the Black Canyon Lake area. I was wondering if this would be a good place to look for some shed's or possibly someplace around the area. I appreciate any input.

It is never too late....look at all the hard whites and chalkies people bring in every year. You never know what you are gonna find out there and that is what makes it so fun/frustrating!!

Get out there and get to looking for some bone.....never looked for anlters in that area so no advice on that.

thats a good area

check some places off the rim road near there

lots of elk in those burns.

James

Definitely not too late. Shed hunting is a year around pursuit. Everyone loves fresh drops (browns or brownies) but like Non-Typical Solutions and Snapshot pointed out, the number of chalkies that get found every year mean that a significant percentage (maybe a majority) of sheds dont get found the first year.

Furthermore, I'd venture to guess that many, many sheds are never found. They simply get chewed up by critters or broken down by the elements and go back to the Earth.

Ive found sheds that were at least a year old (probably more) VERY close to VERY well travelled areas. People just missed them. Its easy to do. I guarantee that we have both walked right by plenty sheds.

So go out. Have fun with your family. Bring water. Be safe. If you find a shed, great! If you dont, youll still have fun being outside.

If you want to feel like youre being productive regardless of whether or not you find a shed, bring a plastic grocery bag with you pick up a few pieces of litter as you go. It gets you used to looking for small things and, although I have no proof of this, could help your shed-hunting karma. (I suggest the bag because I usually end up with pockets stuffed with litter.)

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Like everyone else has already said any time your free is a good time! I go all year every chance I can. I have found my biggest muley set and a huge palates whitetail shed and many more within sight of two roads. It's crazy what people miss. Good luck out there!

Like everyone else has already said any time your free is a good time! I go all year every chance I can. I have found my biggest muley set and a huge palates whitetail shed and many more within sight of two roads. It's crazy what people miss. Good luck out there!

last year on the archery deer hunt (August) after trying to stalk a big coues deer, I walked down the road back to camp and right off the road I missed a nice muley shed with a triple eyeguard and Average Joe found later driving down the road! it was a nice heavy shed. After being defeated by the mighty coues I don't know how I even found my way back to camp, all I could see was visions of that huge buck that eluded me. LOL!

definitely can't find em sittin on the couch!

James

• Like 2

Found a spike elk shed last year in the middle of a forest road close to a tank in 27...looked like a few quads and trucks had run over it.

last year on the archery deer hunt (August) after trying to stalk a big coues deer, I walked down the road back to camp and right off the road I missed a nice muley shed with a triple eyeguard and Average Joe found later driving down the road! it was a nice heavy shed. After being defeated by the mighty coues I don't know how I even found my way back to camp, all I could see was visions of that huge buck that eluded me. LOL!

James

here is the shed JLW missed

post-8259-0-83895900-1368763751.jpg

Here is the same shed next to a dead head that was sitting not more than 100 yards from someone's trail cam and had obviously been there for quite some time. This coues shed was only about 1/4 mile from that muley shed

post-8259-0-23292700-1368763735.jpg

James

here is the shed JLW missed

attachicon.gifdeer shed 1.JPG

Here is the same shed next to a dead head that was sitting not more than 100 yards from someone's trail cam and had obviously been there for quite some time. This coues shed was only about 1/4 mile from that muley shed

attachicon.gifdeer shed.JPG

AHHHH... I remeber that like yesterday.

yeah! those are the coues GENES I'm lookin for! loooong eyeguards! I'm lookin for his brother.... LOL!

James

If you're going to do some shed hunting head towards the reservation. I live 2 miles from the lake and have hunted near there my whole life and have never found anything but a deer shed. You might get lucky looking in some of the deeper canyons by the lake but from past experience it's tough around there. I have had a lot more success up near the reservation where the bulls are crossing back and forth.