Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Looking for a lion

Anyone know where Me and my buddy can go calling with a good chance of tagging a lion? We are headed out thursday.

The spot I was planning has not had any lion sign for a few months now...

Wow that's a bold queston to be asking? I enjoy predator calling more than I like huntin coues deer. I have heard though if you find sheep you'll find lions hanging around.

I know where you can go lots of sheep and lions. there are bobcats too.

That's a tough question James. Most of this state holds lions and if anyone knew for sure I doubt they would tell you. They would be there trying to call one in themselves. I've seen 13 total and most of them have been along the Apache Trail. It's a hit or miss game. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. A lot of the 23 unit you already hunt has a huge population of lions. I do wish you and your friend all the luck in the world. I can tell you, after shooting 3 of my own, it will happen when you least expect it so be ready on every stand you call from. Good luck my friend.

TJ

Thanks for all the PM suggestions. Will be hitting them all up this year. My buddy and I did go out for some night time calling. It was exciting. The foxes that come up behind you (even though the wind was in their favor) kinda keeps you on your toes. No lion for us last night. But still called in a few fox. It was hard to let them walk; but might be trapping there later this year. We had this little guy stop by with dinner.

post-3620-0-66832900-1370030062_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

yeah... I've said it before Not sure who coined the term sly as a fox but they sure are easily fooled! maybe just hungry or tired of manzanitas. LOL!

keep us posted!

James

• Like 1

here you go....

Trail part closed by mountain-lion action
Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star
Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:00 am

The Forest Service has temporarily closed a portion of a popular trail in the Catalina Mountains for public safety due to a mountain lion's behavior.

"There was no attack," said Coronado National Forest spokeswoman Heidi Schewel. But she said there was a report from a reliable source that the mountain lion wasn't acting like a "wild" lion. It was "being out in daylight, not showing fear of humans, that sort of thing," Schewel said.

"To give the mountain lion time to move on," humans are prohibited from entering portions of West Fork Trail until June 7. Those are the intersection of West Fork Trail and Cathedral Rock Trail (Trail No. 26) and the intersection of West Fork Trail and Sabino Rock Trail (Trail No 23). That part of West Fork Trail is part of the Arizona Trail, and it goes past the popular destination of Hutch's Pool.

Mountain lion encounters are rare except where the animals have become habituated to humans. Schewel said: "Lions are top-level predators capable of inflicting injury on humans. Do not approach them. If a lion is encountered, stay calm and speak loudly and firmly. Do not run, as it may stimulate a lion's instinct to chase. Stand and face the animal, raise your arms or open your jacket to look large, and slowly back away."

Lion sightings should be reported to game officials at 628-5376 or 1-800-352-0700.

• Like 1

South of Alpine in unit 27 bail off the rim to the east anywhere south of Campbell Blue River. Stay where you see fresh deer sign. This is a tough hunt so plan on staying overnight but there are lions and they don't get called all that much, be prepared to chase off a bear or two while you're down there. it is a long hike most anywhere into this country so prepare appropriately.

• Like 1

here you go....

Trail part closed by mountain-lion action
Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star

Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:00 am

The Forest Service has temporarily closed a portion of a popular trail in the Catalina Mountains for public safety due to a mountain lion's behavior.

"There was no attack," said Coronado National Forest spokeswoman Heidi Schewel. But she said there was a report from a reliable source that the mountain lion wasn't acting like a "wild" lion. It was "being out in daylight, not showing fear of humans, that sort of thing," Schewel said.

"To give the mountain lion time to move on," humans are prohibited from entering portions of West Fork Trail until June 7. Those are the intersection of West Fork Trail and Cathedral Rock Trail (Trail No. 26) and the intersection of West Fork Trail and Sabino Rock Trail (Trail No 23). That part of West Fork Trail is part of the Arizona Trail, and it goes past the popular destination of Hutch's Pool.

Mountain lion encounters are rare except where the animals have become habituated to humans. Schewel said: "Lions are top-level predators capable of inflicting injury on humans. Do not approach them. If a lion is encountered, stay calm and speak loudly and firmly. Do not run, as it may stimulate a lion's instinct to chase. Stand and face the animal, raise your arms or open your jacket to look large, and slowly back away."

Lion sightings should be reported to game officials at 628-5376 or 1-800-352-0700.

Expect the left wing loonies to disrupt your hunt if you go there. They are already crying please dont kill this lion, let it eat people. It is just hungry. LOL

Love the Sabino Canyon post. They wont even let you carry a fire arm through there anymore. At least last time I checked!!!