Spent an evening after work catching striper :D Gonna be great fish fry! Tip: the fish are holding around 30-55ft deep. Look for sunkin Island with a depth finder as that seems to be where they're holding :rolleyes:

post-4863-0-64945200-1370213842_thumb.jpgpost-4863-0-01757400-1370213921_thumb.jpgpost-4863-0-97890100-1370214705_thumb.jpgpost-4863-0-05248500-1370214362_thumb.jpg

Great!!!!! I can not wait to get out and go catch some stripers. Were you using anchovies? Any lights? We have had some luck trolling deep diving lures in the past, but would like to get out the pontoon boat and relax. Nothing like relaxing on the pontoon, playing some poker, drinking some beverages and waiting for the bell to start ringing.

123456, Yes cut anchovies at night with a light. If you have a depth finder, look for humps,structure, or sunkin islands around 30ft deep & fish those areas. I also use an umbrella shad catch net under my light to catch live shad. Good luck Buddy!

I've been out atleast once a week for the past 3 week (including last night) and we are catching alot of stripers, but not alot of them with size, we'll catch like 15 or so that are fairly small and 3-4 that are big. The times we catch bigger fish is when we're usin the white floating light, and when we use the sinking green light we catch an abundant amount of small ones. Kinda weird.

The big one are probably there but the smaller ones are more aggressive so it is tougher to get past them, try using a bigger bait.

How do you guys cook these up? I tried the usual fish recipe--butter and seasoning into the chest and wrapped in foil, tossed on grill. Meat came out really mushy and far too soft, almost like soup. Never had that happen with other fish before. Am I doing something wrong? I have one full fish about 5 pounds from Powell still frozen whole vacuum-sealed and not sure if I want to try it again after the results from the first one.

Great pics, by the way!!! Nice to share the tips with others.

The foil will mostly steam them, try directly on the grill or on a plank. Frying is always the best!

Take me take me!!!! hey did anyone catch the article in wildlife views about stripers and the caution on how much to eat???? was that talking about salties or freshies also???

The key to keeping stripers fresh is to get them on ice as soon as you bring em in! I have four chests with ice just for the fish. They don't fare well if they are not on ice. If the skin turns brown---well not fit to eat in my opinion. Don't worry about the red meat on the fillets Unless you catch fish over 10 lbs you'll not even notice it. My lady washes and cleans the fillets, pats them dry and then uses a concoction of eggs, milk and some kind of special crumbs and then fries them up. Heck of a tasty meal!

Capt. Don Martin

Stripers Hunters

Meadview AZ

P.S. I have a 30 fish policy on my guided night time trips on Lake Mead. If we don't get 30 in the boat, you get a free trip when they are biting better! I don't think any other striper guides will make that offer!

post-11017-0-32504900-1372235402_thumb.jpg

Gonzales trip on 6-23-2013. 157 fish, 150 stripers, 7 catfish