Sign in to follow this  
mattys281

Binoculars

Learned (quite painfully) this season that my 10x Alpens are not going to cut it for spotting the thinly distributed whitetails near my home in Superior, Az (unit 24B). Looking at larger ones, Steiner 20x80 Senators in particular. Anyone have any experience w/ Steiner glass? Are they worth the $1000+? If you know of another brand that makes quality glass between the 15-20x range please let me know brand name & model. Thanks.

Matt S.

Get with Doug, he'll give you a killer price on them Minox.

For $1000, the Minox 15's are the real deal.

For a little less, I think you can get the Ziess 15x45's. Field of view will be slightly less as will low light performance, but optically they are fantastic and they are slightly smaller and lighter.

You'll need a tripod for either one though.

I've never spent much time with Steiner glass, but I've heard from people I trust that they are not up to par.

I wouldnt even consider the steiner 15 or 20x80's . I had a pair as my first set of big glass and they are way too heavy and bulky. The above suggestions are good, look at Minox if you want big glass with good objective or possibly Fujinon. You can save a few bucks compared to Swarovski but not give up alot on quality...........Allen.......

For $1000, the Minox 15's are the real deal.

For a little less, I think you can get the Ziess 15x45's. Field of view will be slightly less as will low light performance, but optically they are fantastic and they are slightly smaller and lighter.

You'll need a tripod for either one though.

I've never spent much time with Steiner glass, but I've heard from people I trust that they are not up to par.

I only paid $800 for my minox 15's but that was a few years back. I'm sure you can still find them under a $1000 if you look.

Yeah, I paid $699 for mine in 2003 from bearbasin.com.

I recently looked at getting a new pair becasue they made some improvments to the focusing, but the cheapest I could find was $975 plus shipping.

I did find these MINOX 15's for $650, but there must be something fishy here. I'm thinking they are probably non-warranty or something.

What 10x alpens do you have and are you going to sale them to get other binos. If so let me know the price. I have the alpen 10x42 and like them just fine. I also have the 10x42 monarchs and they are just a bit brighter than the alpens. And the swaros are just a bit brighter than the monarchs. I need a back up pair so let me know.

Check with Doug, he has alot of stuff at great prices and he will work with you on the shipping if you dont like it. I have decided on the minox as well I hear that they are the up and coming challengers to Swarov and zeiss.

I love my ziess15x45's and they are so light.On the pod they work magic and I paid 600 on ebay brand new with warranty.Check them out!

Same for me, Zeiss 15 x 45 really happy. Used on an antelope hunt and light transmission was not a factor, very suprised. Under 600 on ebay. love them.

Check with Doug on the Minox he has some great prices.

Here is his info.

Doug

Camera Land

212-753-5128

gr8fuldoug@aol.com