Sometimes magnum primers used in smaller cartridges seem to cause sharper pressure spikes. I know in two of my rifles, using them beats up the brass more so than standard. I say seem because I don't know that for a fact, it just seems like a pattern between my three primary weapons.

Also, I had trouble with high extreme spreads using the 210M with the 4831. Somebody (I think it was on this site) recommended the Remington 9-1/2 primer for this combo. I tried it and dropped them to single digits most of the time. Sometimes I get 12-17 and on RARE occasions 20. But 85+% of the time its single. I shoot 90% of my shots over a crony to monitor this and other potential problems as they start to happen.

Any primer will get the job done. Its up to you how picky you want to get.

You can probably find a good load with those primers just start low and work up. If you are not happy with the results you can try a different primer and see if that settles it down. I have always had really good results with 25-06 with magnum primers and 4831. Very similar case capacities and charge weights with the 6.5-284.

I switched from the FED magnums to CCI primers due to the same reason and had much more consistent spreads as well. I have been using them with good results in magnum calipers. I am still using the fed's in a couple of calibers that don't seem to care which primer.

I'll have to play with a couple primers and see what fleshes out. Probably two max though. I'm not good enough yet to have more than a few variables to work with. For this year I'll try one bullet, one type of brass, two powders and two primers. Berger 140's and Lapua brass already on order, found a buddy with some H4731sc and I have some Retumbo and Fed 215's. just gotta find some Rem 9.5's and I'll be prepped. You guys pushing Bergers, are you chasing the lands?

My rifle prefers .001" jump. Any more, touching or jammed and she won't shoot them very well.

Amax's prefer a bit of jump. I forget off the top of my head but I think it was .015-.020".

Most rifles like VLDs just touching but a handful prefer some jump and some prefer some jam.

Amax in my 7mag shoot considerably better at .015 off the lands. Any closer than that and they are all over the target (relatively speaking). And at 1/2 the price of the Bergers and more repeatable, I have no reason to shoot anything else. I can also pretty much match everything the Amax gives me with the 162 grain SST. BC is lower but a slightly tougher bullet for elk. At my 200 yard zero the 162 Amax and the 162 SST shoot to the same POI, but different velocities because I have to step down 1 grain of powder to shoot the SST.

Amax in my 7mag shoot considerably better at .015 off the lands. Any closer than that and they are all over the target (relatively speaking). And at 1/2 the price of the Bergers and more repeatable, I have no reason to shoot anything else. I can also pretty much match everything the Amax gives me with the 162 grain SST. BC is lower but a slightly tougher bullet for elk. At my 200 yard zero the 162 Amax and the 162 SST shoot to the same POI, but different velocities because I have to step down 1 grain of powder to shoot the SST.

I experience the exact same thing in the 6.5x284 using 140 amax's and SSTs. Exact same 300 yard zero poi but a 30-40 FPS difference.

140 AMAX for me is .030 off the lands. Anything closer wouldn't group consistently.

This thread should be a sticky. I was thinking of trying the A-max's as they perform so well in my RUM (208's), but I can't find the 140's anywhere. Plus the Bergers have a higher bc... So I'll try them out first.

I think the listed BC for the AMAX is a little low. I have to bump it up a little to get my drops to match.

It is hard to find the AMAX and the SST right now. They sell out very fast.

I think the listed BC for the AMAX is a little low. I have to bump it up a little to get my drops to match.

It is hard to find the AMAX and the SST right now. They sell out very fast.

I have noticed the same thing with the 140 AMAX. Published BC Was slightly lower than actual BC.

I have only harvested one animal with my gun and its the buck in my avatar from Mexico earlier this year. The shot was 497 yards. I drilled him right through the shoulders, right where I was aiming. My buddy called the shot and said I hit him in the guts. In reality though what he saw was the shock wave of the bullet rippling through that deer's entire body. Extremely impressed with the performance to say the least.

The published BC of the 140 amax is indeed low. Bryan Litz uses .599. I use .603 based on near and far chronies and drops which agree. The 140 SST has shown me .58 repeatedly.

I only use the 140 VLD because I have so many and only a few hundred amax's. other than that, I favor the Amax.

More great info. Interesting that the published value would be low. Also interesting that the 140 A-max is lower than the 140 Berger when the 208 A-max is higher than the 210 Berger. I've been very impressed with the A-max performance on game, if I get a chance at some 140's, I'll snatch them up for sure.