While we are discussing 6.5's, on a whim I picked up a Savage chambered in 6.5x284 yesterday. I have plenty of experience with 6.5's in .260, 6.5x55, 6.5x47 Lapua using match bullets from 107s,108s,123s, 139s,140s,and 142s, from Lapua,Sierra, and Barnes, however very little with hunting bullets, I have shot the Sierra 140 SPBT and wasn't too impressed with them, any suggestions on bullets for Coues?

My 6.5-284 is loving the 140 bergers they shoot very well out to 1032 so far hoping to stretch it to 1800 this summer

• Like 2

140 VLD, 140 Amax, 140 SST are my favorites in the 6.5x284 followed by the 140 Accubond. Call me crazy but I've tested the SST to death and keep coming up with a BC of.58. Well above the published value. Even though the SST has a lower BC versus the VLD and Amax, they expand reliably at 1600'sec which extends your range over the VLD with an expansion threshold of 1800'sec on average. Slightly less mathematical energy but more energy transfer at longer ranges. With all that said, I shoot more VLDs out of my 6.5 than anything but if I drew a good mulie tag I'd use the SST. That's if I didn't take my 308. The ACCUBOND has been very accurate for me to 700+ but they have a very high velocity for expansion requirement and low BC (lower than published) so that limits your range. At coues altitude, they'll get to to 800 with 1800'sec and 1000# of energy. I'd use that on elk and keep it to = < 600. The Amax will expand at well below 1600'sec but will come uncorked on anything bigger than a coues, antelope and depending on the size, mulie bucks. I know if one case where a 140 amax was used on a bull elk. It was also put in the ribs. clean kills with a 140 amax on elk is the exception not the rule. While they aren't classified as a hunting bullet, some hornady reloading manuals state that the Amax is a good thin skinned, light boned animal bullet. I have shot many animals from wolves to deer (coues included!) to moose. I have never seen one fail to perform very well. Except on the moose. It's a bad news bullet regarding bigger game. While I constantly hear about various bullets not performing on game, I've never heard the word Amax and failed in the same sentence. That comment will likly invoke a comment from a frustrated Amax user but I think amax's failing to expand is a rare occurrence.

Hope that helps.

Hey Jim good pick up on the 6.5-284, thats a great caliber. I have had really good results using the Bergers on game in my other 6.5s but my 6.5-284 seems to be a little picky on bullets and really loves the 140 Amax over any of them. Its what I used last year to make that long shot on that little coues and it perfomed really well. I got full penetration even past 1000 yards leaving about a quarter sized exit on the off side so it did expand and not simply poke straight through.

140 VLD, 140 Amax, 140 SST are my favorites in the 6.5x284 followed by the 140 Accubond. Call me crazy but I've tested the SST to death and keep coming up with a BC of.58. Well above the published value. Even though the SST has a lower BC versus the VLD and Amax, they expand reliably at 1600'sec which extends your range over the VLD with an expansion threshold of 1800'sec on average. Slightly less mathematical energy but more energy transfer at longer ranges. With all that said, I shoot more VLDs out of my 6.5 than anything but if I drew a good mulie tag I'd use the SST. That's if I didn't take my 308. The ACCUBOND has been very accurate for me to 700+ but they have a very high velocity for expansion requirement and low BC (lower than published) so that limits your range. At coues altitude, they'll get to to 800 with 1800'sec and 1000# of energy. I'd use that on elk and keep it to = < 600. The Amax will expand at well below 1600'sec but will come uncorked on anything bigger than a coues, antelope and depending on the size, mulie bucks. I know if one case where a 140 amax was used on a bull elk. It was also put in the ribs. clean kills with a 140 amax on elk is the exception not the rule. While they aren't classified as a hunting bullet, some hornady reloading manuals state that the Amax is a good thin skinned, light boned animal bullet. I have shot many animals from wolves to deer (coues included!) to moose. I have never seen one fail to perform very well. Except on the moose. It's a bad news bullet regarding bigger game. While I constantly hear about various bullets not performing on game, I've never heard the word Amax and failed in the same sentence. That comment will likly invoke a comment from a frustrated Amax user but I think amax's failing to expand is a rare occurrence.

Hope that helps.

Good post -

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but any experiences out there with the savage lightweight in 6.5x284? Was really thinking about a lightweight backpacking rig with some longer range type capabilities, but it seems like a 20" barrel is questionable for 700 yards or less? Just wondering if anyone has used that rifle? Thanks.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but any experiences out there with the savage lightweight in 6.5x284? Was really thinking about a lightweight backpacking rig with some longer range type capabilities, but it seems like a 20" barrel is questionable for 700 yards or less? Just wondering if anyone has used that rifle? Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't take a hot rod cartridge like the 6.5-284 and chop its nuts off along with the barrel. If you really want a 6.5 cartridge in a shorter barrel the 6.5x47, creedmoor or the 260 Remington would probably be better suited for that. Not sure if savage offers those calibers in that set up or not but that's my opinion.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go any shorter than 26" but that's just me. I feel 26" provides all the length you need to get great performance out of the cartridge and is still manageable in the field.

1:8 twist all the way. With a 1:8 you should have no problem shooting any bullet you want to even the light stuff should shoot fine. 140s in a 9 twist can be done but is better suited with higher velocity. My 6.5-06 Ackley has a 9 twist and runs the 140s fine but they are leaving the muzzle a touch over 3100 fps.

26" is completely manageable. What twist do you prefer for pushing the heavier pills? Considering building one soon. Sorry for the hijack.

26" is a great balance for the 6.5x284. Mine has worn 27-1/4" and now wears 26" I don't feel like I'm giving up anything except a bit of muzzle blast but still not bad.

I've never tried shorter than 26 such as 20-24" so I can only offer a guess. My guess is that your shorter barrel and traditional slower powders won't burn completely and leave you with A LOT of muzzle blast and very reduced velocities. In an effort to keep your velocity up and muzzle blast down, you'll need faster powders which will leave you with a lot of empty space in the case.

As has been stated, 8 is very popular. 8.5 has been gaining a lot of popularity and for good reason. 9 works on any hunt in the state if Arizona with its warm air and above sea level location. 2700'sec with the 140 VLD offers a 1.46 stability factor at 5000' altitude and 65 degrees. More than adequate but if you ever hunt near sea level in below freezing you'll drop to 1.11. Still adequate but most guys want a little extra since barrels are sometimes more nominal than exact (ie: 9 twist really turned out to be 9.25). The good news is that it is happening less and less. My next one will be 8.5. It will handle the 140s and the 160 Matrix with ease but I'm not afraid of the 8 twist.

Consider a 3 groove barrel. They are holding up better on the barrel burner cartridges. Mine is no exception. The throat has held up much better than the guys at the local matches 5 and 6 groove barrels have been. Granted, I dont use my 6.5 at the matches. Lilja and Mullerworks both make 3 groove barrels. Both are top notch. I had trouble with my last lilja copper fouling but with the day to day consistency of it, accuracy, ease of cleaning etc...I gave up worrying about it. Dan offered to look it over and relap it need be but I never sent it off due to the way it shot.

Don't really need to. The 6.5-284 is really pretty mild I would make sure and get a stock that's comfortable and fits you well and call it good.