Yeah, it's not much of a "need" thing. More of make it even more of a "pussycat" thing. Current go-to rig is a lighter weight 300 RUM (braked) so I'm sure this will be a vacation comparatively ;)

If you want to spot your own shots short of 700 or so yards OR keep the recoil to "pussycat'' levels a brake will get you there. Needed? not for most but there is something to be said for keeping it to a minimum. Some are more comfortable to use than others. Some are designed in a way that creates a concusion effect and gives you a headache despite making your shoulder feel better. I hate breaks but when I have to have them I prefer a few degrees forward angle. This keeps the most of if not all escaping gas directed forward and away from your head. They are also very effective if done properly. There needs to be sufficient surface area in the ports to be effective. Skinny brakes with shallow holes aren't as effective.

In the end, it's shooter preference. We all have different ideas if what is important on or off of our rifles and differing tolerances to recoil.

26" is completely manageable. What twist do you prefer for pushing the heavier pills? Considering building one soon. Sorry for the hijack.

mine are both 1-8.5" . one is 26" one is 28 1/2".

Well, now that I've completely taken over the thread :rolleyes: , what powder and primers are you guys using? I've heard good results from Retumbo, which is handy as that's what I use in my load for the 300RUM. Any other input appreciated.

50-53 of H4831SC is one if the most popular loads with rem 9.5 primers. This has proven true in mine. My go to load is 51.5 and is surgical accuracy, day to day consistency with single digit extreme spreads.

A close second in popularity and in my rifle is 46-47 H4350 and 210Ms. Another super accurate load with single digit spreads. My rifle also agrees.

A close third is 42-43ish or R22 with Winchester primers. I've had good luck with it as well. Also WITHOUT the temp sensitivity that R22 is commonly accused of.

52-55 of H1000 is a close fourth. I've never been able to get it to work in my rig.

A handful of guys use Retumbo. 57.5-59 grains and 215Ms. I've played with it. I never found a good day to day consistency to it so I gave up on it. It does offer really high velocity though.

Thanks Mike. The more I research, the more I hear about the H4831sc. May try it and the retumbo. What velocities are you getting with those?

Thanks Mike. The more I research, the more I hear about the H4831sc. May try it and the retumbo. What velocities are you getting with those?

H4831SC has shown me two accuracy nodes in my barrel. 2850-2880 and 2950-2965. In my rifle 2950+ is on the warm side so most of my shooting is done at 2852. Hunting gets done at 2965.

I've seen 3100'sec with retumbo. It is stout and hot.

As far as accuracy and consistency are concerned H4831SC had just been pure amazing. In 20 years of LR shooting, I've never had a load like this in any rifle. Close, but not quite this good.

Agree H4831 is a great powder for the 6.5-284. Mine loves it as well with two accuracy nodes. One at 44 grains with a velocity of 2820 and one at 51.5 at 2980 fps. H4350 also works pretty good and put me over 3000fps with 52 grains but the accuracy wasn't quite as good. R17 gave great results at 100 yards with good ES & SDs but I couldn't get it to hold that accuracy past 300 yards. Still not sure why on that one. If I had to pick one powder for that cartridge though it would be H4831 great accuracy and good velocity.

I'm pushing my 140 AMAX at 2850fps with H4350 with the same excellent results Michael has with the 4831SC. Single digit ES as well. All this out of a stock Savage LRH. I also have a second accuracy node but that load is too hot for my comfort.

308 nut you are the first one I have ever heard claim Retumbo was not consistent or magic. I happen to agree and quit using it even in the RUM and 7RM. I only use H1000 now and consistency is vastly better.

I also only use H4831sc in my 6's don't have a 6.5 but do have a 6-284 in which I tried a half dozen powders. A 6.5 will probably be my next addition.

Another question - in my research I've seen people use the Fed 215's with the Retumbo, and the Fed 210's with the H4831. I have only reloaded for my 300 RUM and therefore have a stockpile of 215 GMM's, but no "large rifle" 210 sized primers. Any reason I can't use the 215's with the H4831sc? I could likely find some 210's or Rem 9.5's, but would rather use my own supply than find some from a buddy (online is a ghost-town for primers).

Thanks