Sign in to follow this  
Mocha1545

My Dad rabbit hunting in the 30's

My Dad getting ready to hunt rabbits. Wish we still had that shotgun. My Grand Dad was in charge of the CCC camps in the southwest. I believe this was taken in Silver City.

post-5669-0-78202500-1371689610_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Man, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

I love that picture. Priceless! I was raised in Ohio and my dad & granddad raised beagles and it was a way of life for us. I ate rabbit every way possible. Thanks for posting and bringing back memories.

TJ

I love that picture. Priceless! I was raised in Ohio and my dad & granddad raised beagles and it was a way of life for us. I ate rabbit every way possible. Thanks for posting and bringing back memories.

TJ

Glad it brought back memories.

Where in Ohio? My wife is from the Youngstown area. I keep wanting to go back there for some hunting and fishing with her uncle.

TJ

So TJ, you've had rabbit fricassee?

TJ

Glad it brought back memories.

Where in Ohio? My wife is from the Youngstown area. I keep wanting to go back there for some hunting and fishing with her uncle.

I was raised in Brilliant, Ohio then went to work for Youngstown Sheet and Tube right out of high school before moving to Az. Small world!

TJ

TJ

Fricassee?

TJ

TJ

Fricassee?

TJ

Ya, you take a rabbit or two, cut them up, season and brown in a pot. While they are browning take one medium onion coarse chop. Then you take eight medium potatoes and eight large Carrots chopped. You can add celery if you want. Two cloves of Garlic, minced. After browning place all ingredients in a pressure cooker add water to almost cover and cook at 10lbs for 20 minutes. After cooking take and remove all the bones and place in a bowel. Using the drippings make a gravy, place all back into the cooker and mix in the gravy. Make dumplings by adding salt and milk to flour, I like to add some of the dripping from the cooker (adds flavor) Using a teaspoon place balls of dough on top of the mix. Remove the seal from the lid and place loosely on cooker, bring to a boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until dumplings are done. Serve and enjoy.

TJ

Fricassee?

TJ

Ya, you take a rabbit or two, cut them up, season and brown in a pot. While they are browning take one medium onion coarse chop. Then you take eight medium potatoes and eight large Carrots chopped. You can add celery if you want. Two cloves of Garlic, minced. After browning place all ingredients in a pressure cooker add water to almost cover and cook at 10lbs for 20 minutes. After cooking take and remove all the bones and place in a bowel. Using the drippings make a gravy, place all back into the cooker and mix in the gravy. Make dumplings by adding salt and milk to flour, I like to add some of the dripping from the cooker (adds flavor) Using a teaspoon place balls of dough on top of the mix. Remove the seal from the lid and place loosely on cooker, bring to a boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until dumplings are done. Serve and enjoy.

At first I read that you add droppings? it sounds so much better after I figured out it was add drippings! I need to finish my coffee before I try to read....

That is cool. I live in Silver City. My Grandfather was also part of a few CCC camps, mostly up around Mogollon.

Jeff