Sign in to follow this  
Becker

Why I Trophy Hunt....For TJ!!!

So I was sitting here pondering a comment that TJ made under another topic, and one that I have heard many people say or ask, so not calling you out or anything like that TJ. "Trophy Hunters" or "Guys that Trophy Hunt" or "I don't understand why people trophy hunt". So I figured I would post up one of my reasons. I have an example here in some pictures of two different deer. They are from last year and they are standing in the same spot pretty much.

post-553-0-89834800-1373576828.jpg

post-553-0-34785700-1373576844.jpg

Looking at these pictures you can obviously see the difference in the two deer. No quit looking at the antlers, the BODIES!!! I know the big buck is 5 years old. I had him aged by his teeth after I killed him. My guess is that the little buck is 2 years old! Maybe 3 but I have some pictures of some deer that I think are 3 in the same spot and he is a year younger than them. What do you see when you compare the two deer. They are almost different animals. Compare the chests, head, bellies, rumps, even the size of the legs and feet.

So here is my usual question back when I hear the above comments. When you are turkey hunting do you want to shoot Jakes or prefer a Tom? When Javelina hunting do you want to shoot a red piglet or a fully grown adult? I look at deer the same way. I want to shoot the ol' dirty buck not the baby one.

So here is a picture of that same little buck come October or so....

post-553-0-01399900-1373576863.jpg

With his winter coat he does not stand out as much as a little young deer, but the fact remains he is super young AND he shows extreme potential, being soooo young and already having nice antlers. I would think most guys would shoot him if they had the chance, and thats their choice (no harm or foul in my opinion, I like seeing successful happy hunters). BUT for me I knew there was an old monster buck there and thats the one that I wanted to kill. That was the challenge for me. AND thats how I enjoy to hunt. Its not all about killing for me anymore!!! (I can buy meat at the store for cheaper than it costs me to go hunting anyways, especially if your talking Coues meat) Its about the hunt for the OLD FART of the hills. Finding the oldest buck that I can. Odds are that its going to have a good set of antlers as well (which is a plus because I like big antlers). Age usually goes hand in hand with big antlers. So, if the little baby deer came walking by there is no way I will fling an arrow or some lead at him. Let him grow up a little and see what he becomes because the next deer that I see might be the one!!! I am OK with the "Trophy Hunter" label. That's what I am, but now you know some of the reasons behind it!

• Like 15

Those are good points you made. I could care less how others hunt as long as they don't effect my experience via poaching etc. You take your animal when and where you want...and I'll take mine if I am that lucky.

I have to admit that for a long time I wanted a GIANT coues. After shooting a decent one a couple of years ago...really don't care how big or small it is now. I would just rather be out there. (Don't get me wrong though...I still would like to shoot a 100" buck)

i get ya... I mean I always dream of big bucks! LOL!

the difference is you are ok with me taking a buck of my choice.

when someone is upset because a hunter chose to shoot something below the angry guys' standard is totally ludicrous. It's not your tag why do you care? (not you per say) Have NO problem with someone who has set goals and strives hard to achieve them.

To slay a big buck is always a goal when the season starts but I'm just as happy to be in the woods.

James

• Like 3

He doesn't have time to trophy hunt, he's out searching for father/son's outings & making sure they clean up after themselves.

I have come full circle in the 65 years since I killed my first deer at age 12 in 1948. That buck was a 4x4 mule deer, a nice one, but nowhere near as large as some I killed later.

If you ware to divide my 65 years of hunting into thirds, you'd find me shooting anything with antlers that jumped up in the first third. After some minor success in the trophy department, I entered the second stage by fooling myself into thinking I was a trophy hunter, and began passing up more than a few small or young animals.

Late in this second stage, one of my jobs was to edit the SCI record books, and I quickly learned that skill or luck in hunting had little to do with most of the trophies in that book. Everyone who had enough money to hunt the right area at the right time with the right outfitter/guide nearly always went home with a trophy.

If someone wanted something so big that it couldn't be produced by all the outfitters and guides he hired, there always was someone who would grow it for him, given enough time and money.

The last third of my hunting career found me maturing as a hunter and moving back toward where I began, shooting any size critter I decided I wanted that day. If I passed up a buck, it was because I wasn't ready to stop hunting, and not because I wanted something bigger.

Part of the reason is because I was older and far less fit, but the main reason is because the size of antlers and horns simply doesn't matter. I've good heads of bucks, bulls, stags and other game on the walls of my home and cabin and boxes of antlers, skulls and horns that have become like the albatross that plagued the ancient mariner.

I don't want to give, sell or throw anything away. But I also realize that my heirs don't need another head to haul to the dump or to have to try to find someone who wants it. As I've said many times, I hunt because I must, and I will hunt until I can't.

Now, though, trophy size means nothing to me.

Bill Quimby

• Like 13

Bill - Even though I am younger than you, my division is about the same. I hunt because I enjoy it, and I will take just about any decent buck I can get in my sights. Most of the time...anyway.

Nothing wrong with trophy hunting. Whatever it takes to enjoy your time in the field.

I've never had a problem with the way others use their tags. Assuming they are with in the law. As for me I have a long standing tradition of shooting the first legal animal I come across. I plan to stray from the norm this fall as I have my first bull tag. I don't want to take a immature bull. I'd rather kill a mature bull regardless of antler size. But I'll take what I can get with a smile on my face. Even if I come home empty handed.

I like this thread!!! Here's why I trophy hunt! I didn't kill a single one of them, but they are still trophies to me! ;)

ErikandDadELKSept2007v1.jpg

JuniorDeerJavelinaHuntNovember20-12.jpg

JuniorDeerHunt2010GRETA037.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

Sorry, I could go on and on!

Again, I really like the spirit of this thread. "Trophy" hunting is in the eye of the beholder, IMO. I as well, have not killed an animal personally for several years. The pictures and memories of ANY good time in the field with my loved-ones are my trophy. ;)

S.

:)

• Like 9

love those kid pics. its still kind of a free country shoot what you want. remember the cost of that meat per pound sometimes a small won is still tasty. clean up the gean pool.

When I first saw this I had to ask myself what comment did I make in another topic for you to generate a Topic for me? Well, I finally found it and I must say you have every right to reply to my comments which you did in that topic.

For those of you who are wondering what the comments Becker is talking about you can find it in the topic started by Azbearhunter titiled "How big is this Coues" in post #17 & post #20. Becker, I hope you don't mind me including this information so readers know what it is you are referring to.

Becker, you did an outstanding job of explaining your version of a trophy hunter thru your eyes. It was very well written and like I said in the other topic, I wish you are the luck this year in the draw and you shoot the buck of a lifetime.

In no way I meant to come across like I have anything against trophy hunters. Far from the truth! I can see you take your hunting very serious, you are well respected on this site, and my comments weren't towards you or anyone in particular.

Good luck to everyone in the draw.

TJ

• Like 3

I didn't take what you said in any negativity just was explaining a little better and thought you would get a kick out of it. :)

I didn't take what you said in any negativity just was explaining a little better and thought you would get a kick out of it. :)

I'm honored. Thanks! :)

TJ